OS version:

Webmin 1.962

Specs:

CPU: 2 core
RAM: 4GB RAM

DB Server Usage:

Hi guys,

I have the following issue I’d like to share if someone has a hint:

So I have a Virtualmin Server and two separate Webmin Servers, one with secondary DNS and another dedicated for Database.
Happens that one site on a given page was slow. We recorded average of 1 minute and 50 seconds to load this given page. Meanwhile we pinned down to database performance. I’ve then proceeded to optimize a bunch of settings and no changes. The slowness continues.

So in the meanwhile I had another server with aaPanel that had the same specs: Operative System, CPU, RAM, same MariaDB version and sitting on the same hypervisor, it had only one site there so I decided to just create a DB on that server, transferred the DB contents and connected the site to that database.
I used the same settings as with Webmin, but this server loads the same exact page in half the time. Literally half the time.
Obviously 60 seconds is still an high value, however it dazzles me this difference from one server to the other.

I would like to know if anyone here can explain why is it that the webmin server is notably slower than the others. Why despite changing a bunch of params on /etc/my.cnf.d/mariadb-server.cnf to optimize the DB performance, (and I confirmed they were in place), yet the server performance did not change at all.

Opinions please? Thank you.

EDIT:
Meanwhile I copied the site over to that server I mentioned (where I tested with just the database). The whole thing now loads under 20 seconds, where before it would take a minute.
The virtualmin server is in low load, free resources like the DB server actually, so no reason for such behaviour.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

C’mon, man, that’s ridiculous. We use the MariaDB package provided by your OS. The notion that it’s slow because of Virtualmin is absurd. Virtualmin has literally nothing to do with database performance.

I don’t even know how to respond to this kind of post. It just seems like spam? This isn’t the first time you’ve mentioned aapanel, and recommended it over Virtualmin. If you like aapanel and it does what you need, use it with our blessing. But, don’t spread bullshit about Virtualmin and database performance.

To be clear: We don’t have anything to do with database performance…and neither does aapanel. MariaDB or MySQL or PostgreSQL are not provided by us. They are provided by your OS. I assume (hope) the same is true of aapanel.

2 Likes