Webmin - External server for notification emails

I’m sure I’m missing something really simple here, but I have been banging my head against the wall for a few hours already.

Under ‘Webmin’ -> ‘Webmin Configuration’ -> ‘Sending Emails’ I am trying to configure webmin to use the following setting: “Send email using Via SMTP to remote mail server”. I have entered the server I want to use ‘smtp.example.com’ but I need it to use a custom port (123) and not 25.

I have tried entering: ‘smtp.example.com:123’ and some other variations but just get the error “Missing or un-resolvable SMTP server hostname”. If someone could show me the correct formatting it would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Howdy,

Jamie says that this is a missing feature on the Sending Mail page - you can’t yet
set the SMTP port.

However, it can be changed by editing the file /etc/webmin/mailboxes/config
and adding the line :

smtp_port=123

He will make it possible to set this via the UI in the next release of Webmin.

-Eric

1 Like

Hi Eric,

Thanks for responding. I have added the line to the /etc/webmin/mailboxes/config file as suggested. It seems to have fixed the initial error. However I am now getting another error:

"Send Test Email

Sending message from xxx@yyy.com to aaa@bbb.com
… sending failed : SMTP command failed : . "

I’m guessing it is because the SMTP server requires SSL. Is there another line I can add to the config to enable this?

I know I have the firewall open to allow the connection, as one of my hosted sites already uses the same credentials to send emails.

1 Like

Sending message from fuuuu@barrrrrr.de to baaaaar@fuuuuu.de
… sending failed : SMTP command mail from: fuuuu@barrrrrr.de failed : 530 5.7.57 SMTP; Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM , line 4.

Need TLS

Yes, TLS is needed.