Webmin database backup vs command line

Hullo, all.

I can backup my databases from the command line using mysqldump, but I cannot use the VirtualMin automatic backup tool.

When I try to use Virtualmin, I get the error(s):

Backing up 1 MySQL databases on ded.[server name].com …
Backing up [database name] to /backup/[subdirectory] …
… backup failed : sh: /backup/[subdirectory]/: Is a directory
Warning: Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
mysqldump: Got errno 32 on write
Filesystem size : 458.32 GB Free space : 434.02 GB

Since I would rather use the Webmin interface, is there any way to easily fix this?

Here is my command-line command, if it helps:

mysqldump --databases [database name] --result-file=/backup/[subdirectory]/file.sql

Any thoughts?

Kenneth

“Is a directory” Either the directory already exists or it doesnt know how to write to /directory/. Try variable substitution. Make last folder /%m-%d-%y/

Then enable variable and time substitution in the webmin, mysql module config?

Do strftime substitution of backup destinations? Yes

Do Webmin variable substitution on backup destinations? Yes

Thank you, Scot.

I never did figure out how to get Webmin to do this for me. In the end, I created a .sh file with a mysqldump command within. I run it as a regular CRONjob, and it seems to be working well.

Let me know if anyone sees any problems with this approach.

Hey Parapluie, Getting Same Errors, Can You Please Share the .sh file with mysqldump commands and how to add the .sh files to Cronjob

Any time, Akshay.

#!/bin/bash #script for cronjob backups of a database mysqldump --databases databaseName --result-file=/backup/mysiteBackupSubfolder/databaseName-$(date +%y%m%d-%H.%M.%S).sql.txt

Change “databaseName” to the name of your database.

Change the path following “result-file” to your save location. My system runs CentOS 6, so I throw the backups in the /backup directory.

Then, just set up a CRONjob to run the script. In and out.

The “date+” sequence adds a unique identifier to the file name for easy comparisons.

Glad to help.

K.

Do you really think I didn’t read the manual?
Or are you really just trying to teach me how to dump spam links into an unhelpful comment?