I use my dedicated linux server without interruption, so i think there is a problem with cache, because i got a continuously loading bar of page after some weeks, without any result from loading(dashboard), but if i restart webmin will work again.
I guess I paid too much attention to ‘first time poster’ status.
OP. I have an occasional browser problem. Normally I can fix it by hitting the stop loading icon and then reloading. Doesn’t happen often though. If restarting webmin fixes it you might want to look at system resources.
I use multiple browsers regularly. Have you tried another browser?
Thanks. The easiest way to copy SYSTEM Info for the forum is to use the "Copy basic info " button top right on the dashboard.
Further down the dashboard in the panel “Software versions” it should show which BIND version you have. It should be 9.18 for webmin 2.021
No. The bind8 module supports bind9. They have the same config file format. It’s an accident of history. For many years it was common to see both bind4 deployments and bind8 deployments, sometimes even in the same organization…and they have incompatible config files. BIND 9 uses the same config file format.
I’ve had this happen to me twice and both times I was able to resolve it by changing my DNS server ip in network settings from whatever the DATA Center had it configured to from their installation script to google DNS servers.
On the last one I even disabled ipv6 in Webmin Config because the server isn’t setup to use ipv6.
With new version of webmin i didn’t encountered the same problem, but today i had 500 webpage error while webmin was running normal. After webmin restart the problem disappeared.
Here are sys info from webmin clipboard
| SYSTEM INFORMATION||
| OS type and version | Ubuntu Linux 20.04.5 |
| Webmin version | 2.102 |
| Theme version | 21.05 |
| Package updates | All installed packages are up to date |
Here is a screen from miniserv.error, spamming something till i restarted the webmin.
The whole webmin page(site:10000 , dashboard/all) stopped to respond, with blank black web page error 500(not internal), the web page wasn’t accessible anymore, i think app was crashed due that spamming thing from webmin error log