VPS structure and securing Webmin?

Linux:
CentOS 7:

I have a VPS with fixed IP xx.xx.xx.xx and have chosen Hostname : myVPS (is it ok to do this)?

I have installed myDomain1 and myDomain2 *both.com)

Question 1. How many virtual server does that count for? 2 - just the domains? or 3 - the domains + the VPS container itself?

Question 2. I have been able to install Let’s Encrypt on the domains.
But not so on Webmin. Don’t know how. When I log into Webmin https://xx.xx.xx.xx:10000
the connection is not secure.
Why is that and what can I do to make it secure?

Thanks for your help!

Make your hostname a FQDN so that a SSL certificate can be applied to it. When you do so the browser will stop showing ‘not secure’.

Instead of myvps, you should have used the hostname myvps.domain.tld after pointing the IP of the domain to the Virtualmin VPS.

Hi,

Domains and sub-domains are counted against license quota, while aliases not.

Question 2. I have been able to install Let’s Encrypt on the domains. But not so on Webmin. Don’t know how. When I log into Webmin

Post installation wizard can offer you to create a default virtual server (which you can use to connect to Webmin as well) and request Let’s Encrypt certificate for it. This default domain is not counted against total domains quota.

You could re-run the wizard by going to System Settings > Re-Run Install Wizard page.

thank you calport. Must this FDQN really exist as a registered domain? Or can I just create a ficticious one - myvps.ficticious.dev?

If it is a ficticious domain, how do I “point the IP of the domain to the Virtualmin VPS”?

Btw, what would happen if later on someone registers myvps.ficticious.dev?

Thanks Ilia,
my further question is also related to my conversation with calport.

If I create a default virtual server - must I supply a FQDN? Must it exist or can it be ficticious?

I use hostinger. their hpanel allows me to set the hostname right there. Should I set the FQDN there?and should that be the one that I create the default virtual server with? Are the two things related?

Hostname is always expected to be FQDN.

and should that be the one that I create the default virtual server with?

Yes, they could and should be the same. It will enable you to request Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate and use it as a default for multiple services.

For the FQDN: must I register the domain or can it be totally ficticious (say myvps.ficticious.dev)?

If it is a ficticious domain, do I need to set anything up to “point to it”?

Btw, if it is ficticious, what would happen if later on someone registers myvps.ficticious.dev?

“A fully qualified domain name, sometimes also referred to as an absolute domain name, is a domain name that specifies its exact location in the tree hierarchy of the DNS.”

– Yes!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.