Virtualmin virtual-server module version 4.12 released

Howdy all,

I’ve just rolled out Virtualmin virtual-server module 4.12 for all repos.

Changes since 4.11:

• Updated the Piwik script installer to version 2.8.3, Joomla to 3.3.6 and 2.5.27, Ghost to 0.5.3, Roundcube to 1.0.3, phpMyFAQ to 2.8.15, Zikula to 1.3.9, phpMyAdmin to 4.2.11, 4.1.14.6 and 4.0.10.5, DokuWiki to 2014-09-29a, Dolibarr to 3.6.1, SMF to 2.0.9, TWiki to 6.0.1, SugarCRM to 6.5.18, Coppermine to 1.5.32, X2CRM to 4.3, TikiWiki to 13.0, Drupal to 7.32, PHPList to 3.0.10, OpenCart to 2.0.0.0, eXtplorer to 5.2.5, Django to 1.7.1 and 1.4.16, FengOffice to 2.7.1.6, Node.JS to 0.10.33, and MediaWiki to 1.23.6 and 1.19.21.
  • On systems running Apache 2.4 and above, VirtualHost blocks are now created with an IP address instead of *.
  • Moved all S3 and Rackspace Cloud Files settings from the Virtualmin Configuration page to the new Cloud Storage Providers page.
  • Added support for backups to Google Cloud Storage, once an account is added on the new Cloud Storage Providers page. Pro only feature.

As always, let us know if you run into any bugs or find the new stuff confusing.

Cheers,

Joe

Yay! Google Cloud has been a big item on my want list for a long time now. That, combined with the recent sale announcement might be enough to get me to take a serious look at the pro version again. The other big thing I’m waiting on is the bootstrap theme. Once the code is made to be not so perl-dependant, I might even try skinning it myself.

We’re working on the “Perl dependent” problem. It’s actually a big part of why it’s taking so long. Theming Virtualmin is hard if you don’t speak a lot of Perl and know the internals of Virtualmin very well (even though I’m OK with Perl, and know the internals of Virtualmin better than most folks other than Jamie, I’m still overwhelmed by it pretty frequently). We’re almost there, thought. So much has gone on behind the scenes lately, and we’re about to push a few more bits down into Virtualmin and out of the theme in the next revision or two, which will resolve quite a few of the difficulties in theming.

And, my goal with the Bootstrap theme I’m working on is that any Bootstrap theme that covers the components we use will apply directly and easily to our theme as an overlay. That’s proving difficult with the left-hand menu (I’m torn between sticking with the default panel based accordion or using a custom menu that borrows from the Bootstrap defaults, possibly with a LESS template to automate that). i.e. no Perl needed, at all, for anything that doesn’t fundamentally alter the structure of the UI. You may have seen the screenshots from a while back, where I applied a handful of WrapBootstrap themes to my theme; that was really simple. Just add the stylesheet, with no other customizations or tweaks.

It’s happening! But, it’s hard. We’ve got a 15+ year old code base that spans half a million lines of code. We’re paying off some technical debt to make future development easier.

Hi Joe,

How do I get the 4.12 update?

The Virtualmin Package Update tells me that I have the latest version, “Running latest 4.11-1”
System Info:
CentOS Linux 5.11
Virtualmin version 4.11 Pro
Webmin version 1.710
Theme version 8.7

Best regards,
Blueforce

Same problem here: Virtualmin version 4.11.gpl-1
and no update in the system information.

Thanks!!

Best regards.

Try now. I may have forgotten to run the createrepo script after syncing. The package is definitely in the repo.

I tried it again with no result in the Virtualmin UI…

Also i tried: yum install wbm-virtual-server bind perl python : all packages are updated…

My package is:

Description Webmin module for ‘Virtualmin Virtual Servers (GPL)’ in RPM format
Package wbm-virtual-server
Version 4.11.gpl-1
Architecture noarch

Thanks again!

:slight_smile:

I have been able to do the upgrade:

-I enter in “Virtualmin Package Updates” and when i have refresh avaliable packages, the upgrade was there.

Thanks!

Thanks,

Today the update appeared in “System Information”! The module is now updated!

As allways, you guys are quick to fix things! Soon we have 10 years as a Virtualmin Pro customer, and has allways been treated as a VIP and with excellent support!

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Blueforce

We remember, and we’re grateful you’ve stuck with us all these years! And, yes, we’re almost there. Virtualmin was founded in 2005.

2015 is gonna be a fantastic year for Virtualmin, Cloudmin, Webmin, and even little ol’ Usermin. So many major developments are underway. I just spent the weekend at a Hackathon making a new module, doing more work on the new theme, improving the Webmin documentation wiki, and working on yet another new module. We plan to fork Webmin 2.0 (to allow incompatible changes in Webmin for the first time in its existence) early in 2015.

Hey Joe, this one is for you - with the transition to an app-like interface, and adding responsivity through bootstrap, have you tested out other admin environments like Ajenti and gotten any inspiration or learned lessons from others that you’d like to implement down the road? That’s totally awesome about the 2.0 fork, can’t wait to see what the future holds.

Was recently able to go to a cloud computing summit and watched a presentation about OpenStack. Wondering if there are any fundamental differences between that and Cloudmin?

Had a feature request which would be awesome as I’ve had such a helluva time trying (unsuccessfully) to implement is geoip blocking. My server is constantly bombarded by malicious traffic from outside the U.S., and current solutions involve adding complicated layers to the firewall. Or are there other, easier options you could recommend which are compatible with webmin? Using Ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks!

Have you tried fail2ban? It automatically inserts rules when someone attempts to login, but fails. There is a Webmin rule for fail2ban that is included in the package (also available here: https://github.com/fail2ban/fail2ban/blob/master/config/filter.d/webmin-auth.conf ), and a Webmin module for managing fail2ban, so it’s pretty easy to get it running.

GeoIP is a cool idea, though I don’t know of anyone who has built a Webmin authentication thingy for it. I might look into it. I’ve never written any authentication related code in Webmin, however, so it’d be new to me (and I suspect Jamie prefers the automated method provided by fail2ban).

You could also enable Two Factor Authentication. It won’t prevent people from trying to log in, but it’ll make it very hard for them to succeed.

I have looked at Ajenti briefly, and it looks really nice, though it’s extremely limited compared to current Virtualmin and Webmin. Though it is developing at a nice clip. The first time I looked at it, it did almost nothing. Now it’s got quite a few nice functions, and they seem to follow the Webmin philosophy of not screwing with existing configuration, which I like. So, perhaps they are a worthy competitor in the making. We’ve never really had one on the Webmin front (LinuxConf existed for a while, and was neat, but flawed), though Virtualmin has always had a lot of competition. They also seem to now be replicating our business model, which is interesting; they should have talked to me first…we aren’t making enough money for anyone to want to replicate our business model!

Hi Joe, yes I do have Fail2Ban active at the moment. My concern isn’t necessarily Webmin as I have two-factor turned on as well. My priority would be to protect the sites I host - whether Joomla, Wordpress, etc., from scans and other attacks at the firewall level. 95%+ of malicious traffic originates from outside the U.S. of which neither I, or my clients could care less about other countries being able to access the sites as they’re all geographically targeted locally anyway. Thx tho.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/ip-geo-block/

Yes, thanks. I am aware of extensions that do this from within the CMS, but per my post, I’d like to do it at the OS’s firewall level.