Virtualmin username

We use Virtualmin installed on Ubuntu 12.04. We migrated it about 3 years ago from a system running Ubuntu 10.04 and ever since then new users are created as “username.domain” rather than how the old users were created “username@domain”.

Now we are coming to migration to a google apps for business account, which can log into an IMAP server but it can only use email address usernames in the “username@domain” format.

I have seen this thread (https://www.virtualmin.com/node/16216) which shows me how to change the settings of our mail server so that new users are created with “username@domain” but I was wondering if there is any way to batch convert all the existing “username.domain” users into “username@domain” ones easily?

These are the settings I have tried so far:

System Settings -> Server Template -> Default -> Mail for Domain, and change “Format for usernames that include domain” to “user@domain”

System Settings ->Virtualmin Configuration -> Default for new domains : Domain name style in username.

Server Configuration -> Change Domain Name : Change mailbox name suffix. (changed to domain.tld)

Howdy,

Sorry, there unfortunately isn’t a simple way to convert existing users from one format to another.

Once they’re created they keep that username format.

Though one workaround to that which I think would work, is to generate a backup of a Virtual Server that contains usernames in the old format, and then to restore that backup.

Restoring that backup should cause the usernames to be created with the new format.

-Eric

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I will see if we can attempt what you suggest though I may have to do it from another server as I do not wish to risk my live user accounts in the middle of a migration if it all goes wrong =)

Andy

Also you say there is no “simple” way to do this. Is there a manual method, the user list is small enough that I could walk through them manually and convert from one type to another if that was simpler than trying the backup/restore route (which presumably is untested as of yet).

THanks For sharing infomation

irman