Virtualmin update now causing critical PHP issues

System stats:

• Ubuntu Linux 8.04
  • Webmin version 1.580
  • Virtualmin version 3.91.gpl GPL
  • Theme version 8.4
  • Up 294 days, 12 hours, 08 minutes
  • Kernel and CPU Linux 2.6.27.10-grsec-xxxx-grs-ipv4-32 on i686

This server, having been stable as you can see for quite some time, hadn’t been updated in months. I ran the updater as we needed to update PHP, however now - despite a successful report of PHP being updated - only some domains are able to parse and deliver PHP pages correctly.

While all servers/subdomains are set the same, only some are able to actually display the page. Others just drop a raw PHP file in to my browser’s Downloads folder.

Logs don’t seem to be showing an issue. This is bad.

What can I do?

Howdy,

What output do you receive if you run “php -v” on the command line?

Also, if you go into System Settings -> Re-check Config, does it notice any problems?

-Eric

php -v

PHP 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.23 with Suhosin-Patch 0.9.6.2 (cli) (built: Feb 11 2012 01:49:58) Copyright © 1997-2007 The PHP Group Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright © 1998-2007 Zend Technologies

Re-check config says everything’s fine.

It’s all… seemingly correct, but it’s confusing me as to why PHP is working fine on one domain but not another. I’ve been digging through logs but can’t seem to find any issues whatsoever.

You may want to check what the PHP Execution Mode is for your domains – it’s possible one mode is working, and another isn’t.

You can check that in Server Configuration -> Website Options.

If one mode isn’t working for some reason, you could in the meantime change that to a mode that works properly.

• Eric

Last night, the Server Configuration -> Website Options was showing everything set to FCGId, but upon inspection just now some had that listed while others had neither CGI wrapper or FCGId set. Applying this setting sorted it.

I can breathe again! Thank you. :slight_smile: