Virtualmin Scheduled Backups to Amazon S3 but use 2nd HDD as temp location during backup archiving

OS type and version Ubuntu 22.04
Webmin version 2.021
Virtualmin version 7.7

Is there an option to change the temporary backup location that virtualmin uses to package/zip/tar the backup files before it sends it to Amazon S3?

1 x 60GB Root Volume SSD - Mounted at /
1 x 500GB Secondary HDD - Mounted at /data

Issue: Currently root volume is about 70% used and I have scheduled full daily backups to Amazon S3. Now since the server has to package all the files before it can send it to S3, it can’t obviously compress the 70% full data backup into the remaining 30% and the backup fails with message:

Creating TAR file of home directory ..
    .. TAR failed! cat: write error: No space left on device

bzip2: I/O or other error, bailing out.  Possible reason follows.
bzip2: Broken pipe
	Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)
/bin/tar: -: Cannot write: Broken pipe
/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

I know there is an option to have the backups done to a second disk but then I can’t get virtualmin to send it to S3 like it does now. How do I get the backup process to use the secondary HDD as the temp storage to TAR the files instead of using the root disk?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.