VirtualMin Pro 3.81 Reporting Wrong CentOS Version.

Hello,

This appears to be a minor issue, but I have noticed a discrepancy between the version of CentOS that Virtulmain is reporting and what is actually installed.

I am currently running Virtualmin 3.81 Pro on CentOS 5.5. My /etc/redhat-release file reports that I am running CentOS 5.5 (“CentOS release 5.5 (Final)”). VirtualMin is reporting: “Operating system CentOS Linux 5.4”

Is this a known issue (or is there a simple fix)?

Thank you,

Russ Kula

Howdy,

Well, Virtualmin reports the distribution name (CentOS) and the version number (5.5).

The other information there isn’t considered relevant I suppose… I think Virtualmin assumes that you’re running “Final”, rather than a beta version of some sort.

Even if it were a beta version, the fact that the version number is 5.5 still means you’d be pulling packages from the same repository.

So, all that other information is just considered “extra” :slight_smile:

-Eric

VirtualMin is reporting: “Operating system CentOS Linux 5.4”

Aha! That’s different :slight_smile:

Hmm… I recall this coming up before, and seeing the solution, though I can’t for the life of me remember what it is.

I might start by logging into Virtualmin, click “System Information”, and click the “Refresh system information” link at the top. Does that fix it?

-Eric

Yeah, I forgot to add the critical part. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, using the “Refresh system information” link doesn’t seem to fix the problem.

Russ Kula

Hrm… one other thing you might try is to go into System Settings, and click “Re-Check Configuration”. That may re-detect the OS.

I’d also be curious if restarting Webmin helps… you can do that by typing “/etc/init.d/webmin restart” on the command line.

-Eric

Eric,

Well, before I left work, I logged into the VirtualMin control panel one last time (I had updated the system after I clicked on "“Re-Check Configuration”).

I received the following notification at the top of the “System Information” Page:

“Warning - Your system is actually running CentOS Linux version 5.5.”

There was a button below that read, “Update Detected Operating System”. After (obviously) clicking this button, the OS was detected properly by VirtualMin.

Thank you for the help. :slight_smile:

Russ Kula