Virtualmin pro 3.37 and PHP4 can't chose

Hi all.

I’ve just installed Ubunt7.10 and then php4 (PHP5 came with the installation). After this I did an do-release-upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04LTS.

All worked fine. Then I downloaded the Install script from my Serial page (100 slots), and did the install of Vitualmin 3.57.

All went well.

Problem. Even though I have set the php option to cgi I can’t chose the PHP4 version. In the templates under Apache opstion I can only choose between Lowest or PHP5. It seems that PHP4 are not an option.

What to do? I have a lot of sites which runs under PHP4, sÃ¥ it Is a need-to-have option. I’ve read several threads adressing this issue, but none which worked for mee. I’ve have both PHP4 and PHP5 directories under etc.

Any Ideas??

tcl@togidata.dk wrote:

Problem. Even though I have set the php option to cgi I can't chose the PHP4 version. In the templates under Apache opstion I can only choose between Lowest or PHP5. It seems that PHP4 are not an option.

What to do? I have a lot of sites which runs under PHP4, sÃ¥ it Is a need-to-have option. I’ve read several threads adressing this issue, but none which worked for mee. I’ve have both PHP4 and PHP5 directories under etc.

Howdy,

Just for fun, what all do you see if you run:

rpm -qa | grep php

Also, as you log into Virtualmin – on the navigation bar on the left, you’ll see the “Server Configuration” option for any given Virtual Server.

If you click "Server Configuration", followed by "PHP Version", it in theory would allow you to specify which one(s) you want to run for a given Virtual Server.

Do you see just 5 listed there, or does it offer both 4 and 5?
-Eric

When I click server administration, I don’t have the option -> php version?

Under services I have PHP5 configuration.

Under ECT dir. I have both PHP4 and PHP5.

I know you said above that you’re running Virtualmin Pro version 3.37, I’d like to verify two things – which can each be done on the screen you see immediately after logging into Virtualmin.

When you log in, at the top near the center of the screen, you’ll see “System hostname”, “Operating System”, “Webmin Version” – immediately down from that is “Virtualmin version”.

My questions are:

• It says 3.37 there, right? I just wanted to make sure it that wasn’t a typo for the latest version, 3.57 (oh, actually, 3.58 just came out yesterday I think).

• Does it mention “Pro” there, and not “GPL”? I’d guess you might see the results you are if Virtualmin throught it was running the GPL version.

However, if you’re running 3.37, rather than 3.57, it might help to try upgrading. That version came out last year in March, so it’s aging – and things might be in different places than they are today :wink:

Have a good one!
-Eric

Sorry… It’s a typo. It’s versoin 3.57… :frowning:

No problem about the version issue. Having 3.57 means you won’t need to upgrade! :wink:

I’m hoping you can provide these two things though:

• The output of the command "rpm -qa | grep php"

• When you log into Virtualmin, in the center of the screen, should be the text "Virtualmin version". How exactly does it read? Mine says:

Virtualmin version 3.57 (Pro)

Knowing both of those should help diagnose your issue!

Thanks,
-eric

Oops, you said Ubuntu. So not "rpm -qa | grep php", but instead:

dpkg-query -l ‘php*’

-Eric

This is what I get:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Installed/Config-f/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/t-aWait/T-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
++±==============-==============-============================================
ii php-pear 5.2.4-2ubuntu5 PEAR - PHP Extension and Application Reposit
un php3 <none> (no description available)
ii php4 4:4.4.2-1build server-side, HTML-embedded scripting languag
un php4-cgi <none> (no description available)
un php4-cli <none> (no description available)
ii php4-common 4:4.4.2-1build Common files for packages built from the php
un php4-dev <none> (no description available)
un php4-pear <none> (no description available)
ii php5 5.2.4-2ubuntu5 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting languag
ii php5-cgi 5.2.4-2ubuntu5 server-side, HTML-embedded scripting languag
ii php5-cli 5.2.4-2ubuntu5 command-line interpreter for the php5 script
ii php5-common 5.2.4-2ubuntu5 Common files for packages built from the php
un php5-dev <none> (no description available)
un php5-json <none> (no description available)
ii php5-mysql 5.2.4-2ubuntu5 MySQL module for php5
un php5-mysqli <none> (no description available)
un phpapi-2005060 <none> (no description available)
un phpapi-2006061 <none> (no description available)

Hey there,

Can you verify what version Virtualmin thinks you have installed?

When you log into Virtualmin, in the center of the screen, should be the text "Virtualmin version". How exactly does it read? Mine says:

Virtualmin version 3.60 (Pro)

It sounds like your bought the Pro, but I want to make sure your install realizes that! The problem you’re describing is something I might expect out of the GPL version.
-Eric

Hi,

Webmin version 1.420
Virtualmin version 3.60 (Pro)
Time on server 04/Aug/2008 00:48

It’s the pro allrigth :slight_smile:

Well, it looks like your dpkg-query is showing php-cgi and php-cli as being not installed.

You mentioned above that you set the PHP version to use CGI. So even though you have the PHP4 package installed, you’ll also need to install these two guys for that to work correctly:

apt-get install php4-cgi php4-cli

After that, if you look in Virtualmin, I suspect you’ll PHP4 there as an option.
-Eric

I had to manually install php5 (going the opposite direction :slight_smile: ) and I had a similar problem with "PHP Version" not showing up. Mine turned out to be because the php4 and php5 directories and ini files were missing from ~/etc/ for the server. So you may want to check those.

While you’re at it, you should look in your httpd.conf and make sure the lines like the ones below match up with the contents of ~/fcgi-bin/:

[code:1]
AddHandler fcgid-script .php
AddHandler fcgid-script .php4
FCGIWrapper /home/users/carsonata/fcgi-bin/php4.fcgi .php4
FCGIWrapper /home/users/carsonata/fcgi-bin/php5.fcgi .php
[/code:1]