Virtualmin password recovery

Hi,

this is my first post and first of all, thank you for creating such useful software and making it available to everyone!! Now my issue: I installed Virtualmin on DEbian LEnny, all fine. For days I could log into Virtualmin using the root password of my server installation. But now it wont let me log in anymore! I can log in via SSH but I cannot log into Virtualmin anymore, it always says the password is wrong. So, one issue could be that I changed it, my developer did and forgot, Virtualmin has an issue or something else is wrong. So, how can I recover or reset the current virtualmin password? I have root access via SSH.

I am a newbie to virtualmin so please be gentle :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Markus

Howdy,

When logging in as root, Virtualmin uses your system password. So in theory, if you can log in as root via SSH, you also should be able to log into Virtualmin.

If that’s not the case, that’s odd :slight_smile:

You could always try restarting Webmin with “/etc/init.d/webmin restart”, and see if that helps.

You may also want to take a look at the Webmin logs, /var/webmin/miniserv.error for any related errors.

-Eric

Hi Eric,
I mixed up the usernames! I used Plesk before, in Plesk the username was admin. My mind must have gone into time travel after a few days using Virtualmin. I used the root username and was able to get in. Thank you for your advise.

Markus

Oops, that’ll do it! I’m glad you got that straighted out though.

Have a good one!

-Eric