Virtualmin Microweber partnership

I propose that the bosses at Virtualmin consider some sort of partnership with Microweber via which the Virtualmin project earns an automatic commission from templates and modules that are purchased by people who deploy Microweber on Virtualmin systems via the one click installer (a feature that Virtualmin could offer as part of the partnership deal).

1 Like

From what I read on their site I cannot see anything positive in what they offer, but then I (and my clients) donā€™t see much in anything that gets offered by such organisations. Sound just like a ME2 of WordPress.

But if Webmin/Virtualmin can get a kickback from such a collaboration that they can deem to be worth the effort, so be it.

Yes, thatā€™s exactly what it is - a me-too of WordPress - on the surface. There are people like @paul.kelly1, and this group is not a small one anymore, who wish to respond to a demand from users who specifically avoid WordPress. See

A me-too of WordPress, yes, but if one digs a bit deeper into Microweber (the software) it has some impressive features built in from the ground up - I liked the WordPress multisite equivalent that has been built into the architecture of Microweber so a single install of the software can be made into a SaaS which can scale well at low cost, since VPS providers offer limited disk space in their entry level plans and Microweber multisite equivalent feature works well with that limitation because it takes very little extra disk space for the second account / website onwards. Truly the Microweber team has applied thought to the architecture - the database can be put on the cloud instead of it taking up disk space on the VPS (again this helps keep costs low) and the assets (images etc. of the websites) of Microweber users are all stored in a directory that can be mapped to object storage or block storage, which helps with scalability and also performance when these assets are served via a CDN. Like I said, the well thought out architecture permits this for those who wish to push Microweber beyond its me-too role.

For example, during the pandemic, I have used Virtualmin + Microweber / WordPress at a digital marketing training institute in which over five hundred students (or maybe more, I canā€™t remember exactly how many) learnt web design and created their first website on a low cost and low spec server and a Microweber / WordPress multisite system. They used Virtualmin to manage related services. It worked very well indeed.

And lastly, if an installer for Microweber could be made like the one that Virtualmin already offers for the TikiWiki project, it would be so great for people who wish to run a Wix-like biz. They will have everything needed for a turnkey business without the monthly charges of cPanel and Virtualmin benefits too by making money from the themes and modules that are sold by Microweber.

Wow. Microweber should hire me as biz development strategist. I am not even a Microweber affiliate and do not benefit financially in any way from all this that I have proposed. Just FYI.

1 Like

It sounds pretty cool. I havenā€™t had time to look at it, but I know thereā€™s definitely space at the bottom of the tech curve for people who want a website and for whom even Virtualmin+WordPress is a bridge too far in terms of how complicated it is to fire something up.

Iā€™m all for making website building easier, especially with Open Source tools. Iā€™ll try to have a look at Microweber soon.

1 Like

Iā€™d be dubious of there being much money in it for the WM/VM team. Plus, you offer it, you support it. How many of the questions on this site are actually WM/VM related?

1 Like

lol. Itā€™s closer to ā€œnoneā€ than it is to ā€œmostā€.

Wix is popular because people do not really know about WP and they spend a little bit of money on marketing. I do not claim it is better or worse, just different.

Me, I will tend to use WP or Joomla, but most startups (my clients) donā€™t know the ins and outs.

If there wasnā€™t a demand, why would CPanel have spent so much on Sitejet?

Sure, most VM users probably self manage and are more techie than CPanel users, but the demand is with the final end user/client, not the core VM hard nuts!

Microweber could be a solution, but I am surprised that there arenā€™t more options.

Really?

"Our reports are updated daily.

WordPress is used by 62.8% of all the websites whose content management system we know. This is 43.2% of all websites."

Wix barely registers.

Usage and market share

This diagram shows the percentages of websites using the selected technologies.

How to read the diagram:
WordPress is used by 43.2% of all the websites, that is a content management system market share of 62.8%.

WordPress 43.2%

62.8%
Wix 2.6%

3.8%
W3Techs.com, 27 March 2024
absolute usage percentagemarket share
Percentages of websites using various content management systems

Usage broken down by ranking

This diagram shows the percentages of websites using the selected technologies broken down by ranking.

How to read the diagram:
WordPress is used by 62.8% of all the websites whose content management system we know.
WordPress is used by 54.8% of all the websites whose content management system we know and that rank in the top 1,000,000.

WordPress 62.8%
54.8%
56.1%
55.4%
48.4%
Wix 3.8%
0.5%
0.2%
0.3%
0.0%
W3Techs.com, 27 March 2024
Overall

top 1,000,000

top 100,000

top 10,000

top 1,000|
|Percentages of websites using the selected content management systems broken down by ranking|

Yes, really.

Those states refer to people who are using WP not people who are starting a business and have no idea about websites but know they need one.

If everyone knew about WP or CMS in general, why would they use Wix? Exposure and perceived ease of use!

and that does not include those who deliberately exclude both (all my clients for example and possibly all those who are also fed up with the pushy nature of WP and its environment) I cannot deny that many WP users have fallen in love with it but there are a significant minority who have been burnt by it.

I also mistrust W3Techs (who are they and who do they represent/obtain their data from?

Gentlemen, this discussion has veered off into a WordPress vs others discussion. Letā€™s remain on topic please.

1 Like

I donā€™t see this structure offered on the Microweber site. The basic software is free. All I see available for sale is the templates that go on top of it.

You have a link that Iā€™m not seeing?

Do you mean Microweber Multisite?

See Multisite

Not really. It does seem the ā€œ@teamā€ wouldnā€™t have to develop the deployment. This can be done without ā€œpartnershipā€. The only item for sale that I see is $220 for the ā€˜bigā€™ template repository. Kinda all or nothing. I donā€™t see a structure for earning on ā€˜per sale/useā€™ format.

So, you throw it into the ā€˜proā€™ version and hope to make at least $220 a year more because people are using Pro just to get this feature.

Oh, that. I think it is possible to buy individual themes and modules from within the Microweber control panel / dashboard.

Microweber sells the entire collection of themes and not the individual themes and modules via their website. This is the reason for the confusion.

So: if Microweber is installed via the single click installer on a Virtualmin system and then a theme or module is purchased, the Virtualmin project gets a commission. That was the idea.

1 Like