Virtualmin keeps losing connection both GUI and by SSH

Hello,

For no apparent reason that I am aware of, Virtualmin started losing connection.
If it does load, it takes forward, and when the dashboard finally loads, when I try to navigate to another page it tries to load it until I get a connection lost message.
She login via ssh, if the connection is established, it soon gets disconnected.
When I log in via DigitalOcean console and run /etc/init.d/webmin status it returns that virtualmin is running, and all the websites are also running.

Did anyone experience this before?
How can I troubleshoot this to understand what exactly is the issue?

Thanks

If this just started today, Iā€™d wait and see if it clears up. Iā€™ve had problems accessing about a third of the sites Iā€™ve tried to access today ā€“ some of them very well-known sites ā€“ and can still access some of them only intermittently.

It may just be something funky going on Internet-wise rather than a problem with your particular server.

Richard

Iā€™ve had this case once as wellā€¦
What are the specs of your Digital Ocean droplet?
In my case it was the ClamAV virus scanner, which was ā€œeatingā€ all my Ram. I couldnā€™t connect to SSH and the GUI was suddenly not responding anymore :grimacing:

Login via SSH and run the ā€˜topā€™ command. You will see which processes are consuming CPU and RAM.

So, I donā€™t want to speak too soon but it seems to have passed nowā€¦so :pray:t2: it will not come back.

@fabi my specs are:
Virtual memory: 3.99 GiB total
Processor information: IntelĀ® XeonĀ® Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2 cores

@calport, thanks for the advice about the ā€œtopā€ command, Iā€™ll use that from now to check what is taking up the CPU.

Ok, that would be actually enough memory and power for ClamAVā€¦
Yeah I just recommend you what @calport already said, check everything with the top command or maybe install htop, for me itā€™s a little bit better structured :wink:

Virtualmin is not related to ssh. If youā€™re losing both, something is happening to your server. OOM killer maybe. Network problems maybe. I dunno. But your problem is probably not a Virtualmin problemā€¦itā€™s almost certainly a system-level problem.

1 Like

Or this.

Richard

2 Likes

Didgital Ocean had issues yesterdayā€¦

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.