Virtualmin keeps losing connection both GUI and by SSH

Hello,

For no apparent reason that I am aware of, Virtualmin started losing connection.
If it does load, it takes forward, and when the dashboard finally loads, when I try to navigate to another page it tries to load it until I get a connection lost message.
She login via ssh, if the connection is established, it soon gets disconnected.
When I log in via DigitalOcean console and run /etc/init.d/webmin status it returns that virtualmin is running, and all the websites are also running.

Did anyone experience this before?
How can I troubleshoot this to understand what exactly is the issue?

Thanks

If this just started today, I’d wait and see if it clears up. I’ve had problems accessing about a third of the sites I’ve tried to access today – some of them very well-known sites – and can still access some of them only intermittently.

It may just be something funky going on Internet-wise rather than a problem with your particular server.

Richard

I’ve had this case once as well…
What are the specs of your Digital Ocean droplet?
In my case it was the ClamAV virus scanner, which was “eating” all my Ram. I couldn’t connect to SSH and the GUI was suddenly not responding anymore :grimacing:

Login via SSH and run the ‘top’ command. You will see which processes are consuming CPU and RAM.

So, I don’t want to speak too soon but it seems to have passed now…so :pray:t2: it will not come back.

@fabi my specs are:
Virtual memory: 3.99 GiB total
Processor information: Intel® Xeon® Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2 cores

@calport, thanks for the advice about the “top” command, I’ll use that from now to check what is taking up the CPU.

Ok, that would be actually enough memory and power for ClamAV…
Yeah I just recommend you what @calport already said, check everything with the top command or maybe install htop, for me it’s a little bit better structured :wink:

Virtualmin is not related to ssh. If you’re losing both, something is happening to your server. OOM killer maybe. Network problems maybe. I dunno. But your problem is probably not a Virtualmin problem…it’s almost certainly a system-level problem.

1 Like

Or this.

Richard

2 Likes

Didgital Ocean had issues yesterday…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.