Virtualmin install on MAX OS/X server 10.4

Hi there,
I’m trying to install Virtualmin on MAC.

Webmin and Usermin are working fine.

On adding the Virtualmin module,
I could not follow the installation instructions exactly as they referenced a /home directory which does not exist under MAC.

Is there a set of installation instructions for MAC anywhere

TIA

Have you tried creating the directory to see if it would function. I’m sure as long as apache config is pointing to the right directory you’ll be fine. When you create a server in virtualmin it adds the appropriate stuff to the apache config.

Things will be a bit different on Mac OS X. You’ll need to figure out where you want your domains to live…this is usually /home on UNIX and Linux systems, but I don’t know where would be appropriate on a Mac OS X system. It should probably be wherever an “adduser” or similar command creates a home directory for a new user, as the domain directoy is very much like a home directory and thus the default security for home directories is close to appropriate for a virtualmin domain dircetory.

There are no instructions for Mac that I’m aware of, and I don’t have a Mac for testing on, so it is unlikely to happen until a Mac user steps up to do so. Mac OS X has gotten a few votes in the Operating System poll, so it may be that at some future date we’ll support Mac for Virtualmin Pro (which would provide an installer to automatically set everything up appropriately for use with Virtualmin). Until then, I’m afraid I can’t be of much help as my familiarity with Mac OS X is limited.

Hi Both,
Thanks for the replies.
I did create the a /home directory with a link to /var/spool/mail as the instructions stated. This does appear to work and the users are created there.

On the MAC users are created in the /Users directory. Virtualmin does this correctly.

When I try to access the new site, I seem to be redirected to the default site for the server rather than the new site.

The Server Admin MAC program creates virtual servers definition in their own .conf file. Virtualmin creates the server definition in the httpd.conf file itself. Also, the Virtualmin site listens on port 80 whilst the MAC created site listens on port 16080.

I’m not sure if this is a red herring and the problem is elsewhere.

I would be happy to help test Virtualmin on Mac if you are looking for some help in this area.