Over the weekend, I’ve started migrating all of our Open Source projects into public github repositories. Historically speaking, most of the Virtualmin code has been in a private repo; it’s an accident of history and a desire to move fast and think very little about the revision control system (and it started in Subversion, where we managed our own repos, so every new repo was additional work and maintenance that we’ve never had enough staff for thinking about). All of this stuff has been Open Source since before the company existed (and will always be), but it’s never been as visible or as discoverable as it should be.
Anyway, long story short: We’re hoping that pushing nearly everything (except for Virtualmin and Cloudmin Pro) into public github repositories will encourage more active community involvement in Virtualmin and Cloudmin development, faster development, easier contribution of small bugfixes and translations, and higher quality overall.
Currently, the following modules are on github:
With all of the rest of the plugins coming over the next few days. Virtualmin and Cloudmin proper will take a while longer, as we have to extricate them from the Pro sources, and I’m not sure currently how to do that, without imposing a lot of extra work on Jamie. But, hopefully within the next few weeks, Virtualmin GPL and Cloudmin GPL will also be in public repos.
So, git in there and make pull requests! Ask questions if you’re not sure how to get started (but, if you know a little Perl, and a little about whatever service you want to work on, you should find it pretty easy to get started). In particular, we welcome code modernization patches; I’ve been updating each module with “use warnings” and “use strict”, and fixing whatever issue that raises, but there’s also more improvements we could be doing.
Also, we like Stars. Go star us on github!