Virtualmin 7 and Debian 11

I am testing Virtualmin with Debian 11 based on Ilia’s instructions.

@Ilia - in step 4.1 there is a typo. It should be /etc/apt/sources.list not /etc/apt/source.list.

• No issues found in installation everything was smooth.

• After the installation the webmin service doesn’t start automatically. I did now want to start it manually and I prefered to reboot and it started.

• Indeed Proftpd services failed to start and it needed the proftpd-mod-crypto package to run. The latest installation script did not installed for me (7.0.0-beta5).

Thanks, fixed. However, I am frustrated that the very latest Debian 11 installation (installed today) doesn’t have webalizer package available in default repo but only in testing. @Joe should we work-around the problem?

1 Like

I think maybe that decides it for us. Webalizer is the one we remove from the default install. I guess AWstats is still there? Maybe we remove both?

Yes, awstats is still available. I don’t think we should remove both.

1 Like

OK, we’ll keep AWstats, drop Webalizer by default, assuming Virtualmin is smart enough to hide the feature (since it’s built-in rather than a plugin).

1 Like

I think we actually need this patch, and this patch, and this patch, and this patch.

Is there anything else?

1 Like

@Ilia @Joe do these patches mean Step 4 of Ilia’s instructions (to manually install Webalizer) is now obsolete and should be ignored?

When Virtualmin 7 is fully released you wouldn’t have to bother but if you need to install Virtualmin 6 right now, you should still follow my instructions above, as an old stack package would still want that missing in Debian 11 webalizer package.

1 Like

Any idea about the “when” ? (I know you do not give dates but I start to need real bad to order new machines and it does not make sense for me to order Debian 10 …) :slight_smile:

I would presume it must be out by by the end of this week (Sunday 27).

4 Likes

Good news !! Thanks for the great work !
Pierre

It looks like it wasn’t building so it was auto-removed for the bullseye freeze:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=957923
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/webalizer

It might be worth it to either mirror the testing/unstable package for users or ask it to be added to backports for bullseye. Users upgrading from debian 10 may still have it installed w/o any chances of security updates…

1 Like

Does anybody use webalizer, anymore? I considered removing either AWstats or Webalizer or both as far back as Virtualmin 6, and we’re definitely removing webalizer now, since it doesn’t even exist on all platforms.

We don’t like depending on things that are not well-maintained, as we always catch the blame for brokenness or security issues if we had anything to do with it being installed. (Hell, we catch the blame for broken system updates totally unrelated to Virtualmin, just because we show available updates in the UI. But, part of our job, I think is curating a good set of default decisions for a server, and I don’t really consider webalizer a good decision today.)

With its last stable release 8 years ago, I really think nobody does. At least nobody interested in the latest version of Virtualmin and Debian. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been hosting websites for 23 years and I regard Webalizer as a utility whose only function is to waste disk space. AWstats I find more useful and less resource intensive, so my vote to to let Webalizer RIP and retain AWstats.

2 Likes

What if Matomo (an already existing Install Script in Pro) came to Virtualmin GPL? Could we get rid of AWStats, too?

I just checked and found that AWstats hasn’t been updated in almost two years, so perhaps it’s going the same way as Webalizer. I don’t have experience of Matomo but it looks good. As long as it’s not bloatware, I’d be happy to see it in place of AWstats.
Does this mean that the recently-released Virtualmin 7 will soon become VM7.0.1?

Virtualmin 7 isn’t quite released. The module has been tagged, but it’s not in Virtualmin repos until later tonight, and the VM 7 installer probably won’t come until tomorrow some time.

In that case the website is misleading. Under ‘Latest News’, it says ‘Virtualmin 7.0 released’ and after the description, it gives the date as ‘March 23, 2022’.
The Virtualmin page has a ‘Virtualmin Installer’ link below the heading ‘Download Virtualmin 7.0’. Further reading of the linked page advises that: “Ideally, it should be run on a system that has a fresh install of either CentOS 5, Debian 4.0, Ubuntu 8.04 or Solaris as at the moment those are the only supported operating systems.”

This may discourage new users to take up Virtualmin, as it gives the impression that the project is old and possibly unmaintained, wheras the opposite is the truth.

Looking forward to the real release!

What website?

Edit: Oh, you mean Webmin.com. That’s not the Virtualmin website. I even thought we’d removed the Virtualmin section of Webmin.com because it is so misleading and out of date. It will be removed at some point. The module updates will continue to get posted there just because it’s part of Jamie’s process.