Virtual server with dedicated port

Operating system: Ubuntu
OS version: 18.04

Hi

is it possible to create a virtual server that can be opened on an existed domain but on a separate port?
If I already have mydomain.com:80 and I can use mydomain.com:10000 for Virtualmin I want to have my second virtual server on mydomain.com:11000 (I want to keep mydomain.com:80 as my first server too)
or
is it possible to open the specific directory in the domain’s folder puplic_html like mydomain.com:11000

@Aido21,

Virtualmin runs on port 10000 globally across the server. In order to have a second port, you’d need to have a second instance of Virtualmin which isn’t possible.

Perhaps you can elaborate on why you think you need a second port…

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

Hi
I don’t need the second Virtualmin.
So I have - mydomain.com on port 80.
I need - new virtual server but i would like it woks on the same domain mydomain.com but on different port.

@Aido21,

So you want to run a second website, on a different port, for the same domain? Can you explain the reason for this – curious.

Best Regards,

Sounds like he wants to run Discourse but he’s just now figuring out you can’t run it on anything but port 80 and you can’t run it on shared hosting. It has to be a dedicated port.

:slight_smile: why don’t you ask Virtualmin about the same? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
They use :10000 for virtualmin and :20000 for usermin.
Is it very unusual if I want the same for another my own tool?

Sorry it is not about Discourse

I say that because I know a few people that tried to run it on shared hosting. There’s a lot of things like that you can’t do on a shared hosting program, that’s why he is asking and I too am curious as to why you would need to run a dedicated port for a website.

We’re just curious.

@Aido21 @Gomez_Adams,

It is technically possible to run in s shared environment, and you could technically run Apache virtualhost on another port…

However this is a somewhat advanced topic, and while possible, would require some manual intervention which isn’t built into Virtualmin directly, though for part of it could be implemented via the core Webmin product.

That said, @Gomez_Adams isn’t completely off base in suggesting Discourse be run on a dedicated server/vps as it is a beast of it’s own.

Best Regards,

And i am not on shared hosting. :slight_smile:

So guys is it possible or not? Or if it is a problem for server maybe is it possible to redirect mydomain.com:13000 to specific folder in the current mydomain folder?

For example if I would like to organize this way the access to phpmyadmin.

@Aido21,

Shared Hosting implying what you are offering by using Virtualmin, not the account Virtualmin is installed on.

Best Regards,

I never said it is a shared hosting. It is my own installation of Virtualmin on my own server.

@Aido21,

Using a custom port for hosting a website is possible, but not through Virtualmin directly. You’d need to set it up quite manually through Webmin. This means setting up the Apache configure, user/group, home directory, etc.

Best Regards,

Oh it sounds not too difficult but I thought it is possible to do via GUI… I did not want to change anything manually in configs to not break the web/virtualmins

The first idea was to setup phpmyadmin on the dedicated port and access to it via ssh tunnel…
Same like now my 10000 port is closed for public

@Aido21,

There’s a lot of moving pieces with Virtualmin. Click create Virtual Server and it executes like 30 commands behind the scenes to get those pretty Virtual Servers from a concept to a reality.

You’d literally be doing all those tasks manually. Is that what you really want to be spending your time doing? Oh and you still haven’t really explained why you need this in the first place.

Best Regards,

Virtualmin IS Shared hosting. You create multiple ‘VIRTUAL’ servers that all use the same main IP address and resources. You can put limits on those resources but that’s about it.

The first idea was to setup phpmyadmin on the dedicated port and access it via ssh tunnel…

Hm… I know it
Sorry, but I really don’t understand how this relates to my question.
If it is not possible - ok, but tpnsolutions has already said - it is possible.

@Aido21,

It’s possible, but not through Virtualmin.

Anyways, good luck.

Best Regards,

Here’s what I said:

Then you of course deliberately misquote me with this taking it completely out of context:

And guess what: He said the same exact thing that I did, that it is not possible in Virtualmin.