When a Virtual Server is created, the following DNS Records are created:

[code:1]@ IN NS ns1.dnsserver.com.
example.com. IN A 192.168.1.2
www.example.com. IN A 192.168.1.2
ftp.example.com. IN A 192.168.1.2
m.example.com. IN A 192.168.1.2
mail.example.com. IN A 192.168.1.2
example.com. IN MX 5 mail.example.com.[/code:1]

Can someone maybe tell me in what file(s) these default records are set on CentOS v.5?
Or is it maybe possible to change (not add) the default records via Virtualmin GPL?

Thanks in advance,

Molski

the zone files are listed : /var/named/chroot/var/named/
or use the BIND module in the webmin section under servers
Is this what you mean?

I don’t think that’s what molski means. The question is: Where do the default subs (www,ftp,m,mail, localhost) come from? I also didn’t find any place where I can set the presets.

Gerald

Gerald describes exactly what my problem (and his) is :slight_smile:

Molski

Of course, these can be configured in Server Templates in the BIND DNS Domain section. Just select "Use only the records above" in the "BIND DNS records for new domains" field.

The defaults are hard-coded, but can be over-ridden in as many different ways as you like–you can have unlimited Server Templates and each of them can have wholly different DNS records (or just about anything else). Server Templates are extremely powerful…but somehow we never manage to communicate that to folks. It’s like a no man’s land where all fear to tread.

Concerning the Server Templates. When a custom Server Templates is made where is it stored. Also when a backup is done on one server and restored on another server, it fails saying that the new server doesn’t have that Server Template. What can I do to make it work?

Chris Jacobs

Look in the Backup Virtual Servers page (find it in the system level Backup/Restore menu in the lower section of the left-hand pane). Open out the "Features and settings" section and check the box next to Server Templates. All Virtualmin meta-data can be backed up, just like the domain information.