Virtual interface removed after reboot on Ubuntu 20.04

Have you considered changing the following sequence:

Yes I have tested add network configuration after and before installing virtualmin with the script.

Same result

I have tested all I can and nothing work.

I am sorry, I am at a loss about what else to suggest.

Thanks for your suggestion, I think I have try all I can.

The only thing I havenā€™t try is to use another os.

But on ubuntu 20.04, php is in version 7.4 and I only need this so itā€™s better and better for security update too.

After Test on debian 10, same problem, after fresh install and reboot with just a virtual interface on network configuration. Ip are ok but after reboot i can"t bootup network and i have to resintall.

On active on boot, 3 configuration with eth0 eth1 and eth2 ā€¦

There is a mistake in network configuration in the last version ā€¦

The solution for me is to install Unbutu 16.04 and configure with Network active on boot and no problem ā€¦

last and best soluion

Install Ubutu 16.04 upgrade to 18.04 and upgrade to 20.04
And after install Virtualmin with the GPL script

Holy cow. Thereā€™s no way thatā€™s the best solution!

Iā€™d guess thereā€™s still remaining bugs in Webminā€™s support for the new Ubuntu network config system (it may be fixed in the next version, which Iā€™m rolling out today). Just configure the network outside of Webmin.

Itā€™s insane to install 16.04 and upgrade to 20.04. That is not a good solution. If you want to use the old network system (which is what this gets you), just use the old network config system. You donā€™t have to start on 16.04 to do that.

I have tested configure outsite webmin the network and before install virtualmin and the result is exactly the same.

I have tested to rollback to the old network system but after install virtualmin the network config is on the old system and the config active on boot is started with the new configuration with netplan.

On fresh instal how i can rollback to old network system before install virtualmin and make sure this is the good method ?

Ps : i havenā€™t the latest version of webmin on fresh install, i have 1.955 where latest is 1.960 and in the changelog :

• Massive improvements to the YAML parsing in the Network Configuration module, to support more complex Netplan configs.

Can i add directly the Webmin repository or i have to wait for your repository ?

Thanks

1 Like

hi,
I have the same issue.

Thought, that I am doing something wrong in the post installation guide. But then I am not the only one that can not reboot.

No solution yet :frowning:

Could you please contact your service provider, and as them about init scripts they setup to run upon reboot? Most likely your network config is overwritten by one of those scripts.

I just tested it with Debian now, and there is no issue at all. I could easily add additional static IP on the interface, and it survived reboots with no problem. The same should be with Ubuntu 20.04.

Its a dedicated server so no setup on start, itā€™s on a fresh install on an OVH server.

I have tested fresh install and active on boot is configured but donā€™t apply on network, when i created a new virtualhost with the FailOver ip the interface is not founded but the ip respond to ping.

No website respond on this ip ā€¦

So i don"t work ā€¦

i have tested a fresh install with configuration activate on boot.

And on boot, no activation of the virtual interface, i have to select and apply in the interface to make work.

Based on this post of yours it seems that you have Ubuntu 20.04 with uninstalled netplan? Perhaps it would be better to try installing and using netplan, and see if it works the expected way?

See my last reply before yours.

I try but nothin apply on boot, i have to manually apply after boot.

Have you an solution.

From fresh install with netplan problem appends on restarts, i have to apply manually
From fresh instal and remove netplan to old network configuration problem too.

What is the solution on Ubuntu 20.04 ? for have last apache with http2 and php 7.4.
if install ubuntu 16.04 is not a solution (but it work)

i ā€œthinkā€ the problem is because on OVH the net is configured with DHCP on V4 and fixed in DHCP6 :confused:

And you have tested on Debian, i say on Ubuntu :wink:

After many and many many reinstall.

I have found a way to have IP FO work on Ubuntu 20.04 on old network system.
Webmin add configuration in /etc/network/interfaces in a way that donā€™t understand ubuntu network old system !

On debian 10 it work but not on Ubuntu 20.04 ! (i donā€™t test any other ubuntu with netplan)

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.