Using OpenDNS in /etc/resolv.conf; any potential problems?

I am using OpenDNS in my /etc/resolv.conf as follows

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

will this pose any sort of problems for the mail server component of Virtualmin, which may or may not be relying of NXDOMAIN responses?

Well, I don’t have any experience with OpenDNS – what I can offer is that Virtualmin’s mail component simply uses Postfix – with things like SpamAssassin and ClamAV helping out.

So the question then becomes – does Postfix, SpamAssassin, or ClamAV have any issues with OpenDNS?

Also, are you hosting DNS for your Virtual Servers locally on BIND?

I’m not sure how that affects things, but that’s another item to consider.

I’m just tossing out some ideas to explore – perhaps someone with more OpenDNS expertise than myself will chime in with their experiences :slight_smile:

-Eric

As far as I know you can use any nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf as long as it is reliable.
Personally I choose the IP’s provided by my ISP where my server is co-located.

I also have a server at home behind a NAT device and that one has the gateway (192.168.1.1) as nameserver. The router uses the IP’s from my ISP, but I can put any reliable dns IP in there

The world just needs to know where your hardware (router or server) is.

I have decided to use Google Public DNS, it will probably resolve faster than my local ISPs DNS.

8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

Unlike OpenDNS doing “extra” things which can possibly screw up NXDOMAIN responses, Google Public DNS does not do anything I don’t need.