Using DigitalOcean Floating IPs with Virtualmin

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Debian Linux 10
Webmin version: 1.973
Virtualmin version: 6.16 Pro

I am in the process of trying to setup “Floating IPs” from DigitalOcean, to allow for easier and faster alterations in the future - if there WERE an issue with a VPS, I can recover from backup, associate the IP to the new droplet, and return to operations.

I’m not sure if there is documentation that covers this anywhere, so far I’ve run into various SSL validation issues after adding the new IP under the “Virtual IP Address” section of Virtualmin, I’ve tried this WITH and WITHOUT local DNS enabled (I’m using Cloudflare exclusively) and so far - all testing has been done WITHOUT Cloudflare proxying enabled.

Anyone else been down this road and can lend a hand?

Cheers, -Ian

Well, I have no experience with Digital Ocean but many VPS hosting services assign to a server an internal (typically Class C) IP address which the Virtualmin installer uses appropriately. This internal IP address is independent of any public IP or floating IP that the VPS host will give you. Now, when you recover from a backup, the internal IP address is likely to change and when the restored server comes online, Virtualmin will detect this change and offer a one-click fix so that all references to the old internal IP address are changed to the new internal IP address. It is strongly recommended that this option be used when restoring a server.

That leaves you with the job of then updating the public IP address. If you have few virtual servers then this could be done manually else someone (Ilia?) had posted a script which does this for all virtual servers on your Virtualmin system at one go.

I restore my Virtualmin VPS on Linode and AWS in this manner.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.