USB Hub on Linksys WRT3200ACM and OpenWRT

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I connected a USB hub to the USB3 port on my Linksys WRT3200ACM router running OpenWRT to see what would happen. Hey, I live on the edge.

Somewhat surprisingly, it works. LuCI couldn’t see the new drive; but I was able to initialize, partition, and format an 8TB Seagate Exos drive in the shell, after which it was available for use as a shared drive in LuCI. That’s in addition to the existing 4TB Seagate IronWolf drive.

So now I have 12TB of storage coming off the router, which I use for backups of backups as well as easily-replaced stuff like downloads that I want to make available across the LAN.

Anything actually important that’s not in itself a backup of a backup is backed up to B2 using GoodSync, thus also making it available remotely on my laptop using Mountain Duck in addition to backupping it.

I decided to try that as opposed to buying another Tiny PC to use as a NAS controller, and saved a couple hundred bucks in the process.

Life is good.

Richard

1 Like

OpenWRT is damn powerful. :slight_smile:
I thought about getting a router which is able to run it (with the specs and features I need) to test around with it because I heared a lot positive stuff about it.
Quite funny that a router in this case saved you a lot of money by doing something which a normal person wouldn’t dream of (doing that with a router). :rofl: :smiley:

I like the WRT3200ACM for OpenWRT so much that I recently bought a spare. Which reminds me, I have to take it out of the box and test it while the return window is still open. I’ll probably pre-configure it, as well.

There also are a lot of mini-PC’s made by companies like Qotom that can run OpenWRT, and some builds specifically designed for those kind of boxes. I have no experience with any of them.

I had serious doubts about the router’s ability to handle both drives; but the first task was copying about 1.7TB of data from the 4TB drive to the new 8TB drive, and I got peak transfer rates of ~ 150MB/s. Not too shabby for USB.

Richard

Some people’s NAS are worse than that. :joy:
Also taking into account, its based on a router with USB attached drives, then thats pretty good. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’m happy with it. Like I said, I have another still in the box as a spare.

It’s also really easy to migrate from one to the other. It takes about ten minutes. I’ve just been to busy with other stuff lately. It’ll get done.

Richard

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.