URGENT - Restore Failure (.. your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin)

SYSTEM INFORMATION

**OS type and version: 20.04 LTS
**Webmin version: 1.984
**Virtualmin version: 6.17-3
**Related products version: BIND DNS Server (BIND version 9.16)

FYI: Kernel and CPU Linux 5.4.0-97-generic on x86_64

Hi @staff @Joe @Jamie amie

Upgraded OS from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 LTS couple of days ago and faced too many issues. However, after resolving most of them stuck with the Bind issue, which I am unable to resolve even after multiple backups, restore and checking the forum. There has been 1 relevant post but I could not follow the instruction as there were not enough details like file name, path etc. let alone what needs to be changed (from x to y).

After a complete restore, when I run “Re-check Configuration”, I am still getting the following error:

Warning! DNS Registration Warning

Some virtual servers’ DNS registrations have expired : delasgiftshop.com

The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled features are available, that the mail server is properly configured, and that quotas are active …

Your system has 13.63 GiB of memory, which is at or above the Virtualmin recommended minimum of 256 MiB.

Errors were found in your system’s BIND configuration : /var/lib/bind/absports.co.uk.hosts:21: ignoring out-of-zone data (autoconfig.absports.co.uk), /var/lib/bind/absports.co.uk.hosts:22: ignoring out-of-zone data (autodiscover.absports.co.uk), /var/lib/bind/accountswise.esdev.in.hosts:21: ignoring out-of-zone data (autoconfig.accountswis.esdev.in), /var/lib/bind/accountswise.esdev.in.hosts:22: ignoring out-of-zone data (autodiscover.accountswis.esdev.in), /var/lib/bind/esspl.co.uk.hosts:48: SOA record not at top of zone (astro.esspl.co.uk), zone Elegant Systems - Where Technology Must Bring Value for Money, Cloud | Microsoft Partner | Sharepoint loading from master file /var/lib/bind/esspl.co.uk.hosts failed: not at top of zone, zone Elegant Systems - Where Technology Must Bring Value for Money, Cloud | Microsoft Partner | Sharepoint not loaded due to errors., _default/esspl.co.uk/IN: not at top of zone, /var/lib/bind/yogasanskriti.org.hosts:21: ignoring out-of-zone data (autoconfig.yogasanskriti.org), /var/lib/bind/yogasanskriti.org.hosts:22: ignoring out-of-zone data (autodiscover.yogasanskriti.org)

… your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin.

A quick response on this will be highly appreciated because after this I plan to pick up the FTP issue with you - which has been pending/open for last month or so (my mistake as I wanted to have a clean and up-to-date system to work with).

Many Thanks,
Ravi

Odd that BIND is rejecting DNS records that do appear to be in the same domain…

Is absports.co.uk one of the domains that you restored? If so, can you attach /var/lib/bind/absports.co.uk.hosts to this ticket?

Hi @Jamie and/or other @staff or other @staf

Given the fact that I am in the UK, it is around 11 PM here and I am not sure when I might just fall on my desk as I have not slept properly in the last 3-4 days. Plus because you are in the US and you are online + working on Sunday (I sincerely appreciate you replying back to me) I would appreciate it if we can get this resolved tonight because it’s a weekday tomorrow and that too Monday. :pensive:

And so I am taking the liberty to add few more issues to the question (as you scroll down)
Just to give you some background:

1.>
To start with, I restored 40 domains in total and Yes absports.co.uk was part of it. But it is a disabled domain. I had it earlier and then redirecting it to another website. But now we do that directly from the domain registrar (GoDaddy) so this was not needed anymore.

There are 2 more such websites (disabled and redirected from registrar level) but as you can see none of them threw any error. However, just to add yogasanskriti is also a disabled domain - this project as supposed to start last year but due to Covid did not kick-off, so we disabled it (the website does not exist)

Worst case scenario I can simply delete these 2 domains and start from the scratch - just to avoid any delay and headache, but just wanted to understand what happened here and why and how to deal with it in future and because I ran of ideas and any support, I opened this ticket with you.

Having said that the error that I am getting with esspl domain critical.

esspl.co.uk is our OWN, main and core business website with few subdomains for our internal project/application. astro.esspl was created wrongly, it should have been astro.esdev and should have been on test environment.

So again I can transfer content, delete it and start this in the test environment. But when I tried that in my last attempt it messed up esspl.co.uk (which is super critical for us) and so I am not confident to do that again and therefore opened this ticket with you.

Pls see the error below:

(astro.esspl.co.uk), zone Elegant Systems - Where Technology Must Bring Value for Money, Cloud | Microsoft Partner | Sharepoint loading from master file /var/lib/bind/esspl.co.uk.hosts failed: not at top of zone, zone Elegant Systems - Where Technology Must Bring Value for Money, Cloud | Microsoft Partner | Sharepoint not loaded due to errors.

The funny thing is: right now everything is launching and opening perfectly fine, but somewhere in my head I am not comfortable running the Configuration Check and getting errors and Virtualmin categorically saying that my system is NOT ready. Plus I am worried that it will create problems at some point in time and so I want to be double sure before I proceed any further.

As per your request, the output of /var/lib/bind/absports.co.uk.hosts is as follow:

$ttl 3600
absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	SOA	ns13.domaincontrol.com. root.ns13.domaincontrol.com. (
			3600 )
absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	NS	ns13.domaincontrol.com.
absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	NS	ns14.domaincontrol.com.
absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	A	62.31.50.140
www.absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	A	62.31.50.140
ftp.absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	A	62.31.50.140
m.absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	A	62.31.50.140
localhost.absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	A	127.0.0.1
webmail.absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	A	62.31.50.140
admin.absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	A	62.31.50.140
mail.absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	A	62.31.50.140
absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	MX	5 mail.absports.co.uk.
absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 a mx a:absports.co.uk ip4:192.168.24.30 ip4:62.31.50.140 ip6:fe80::20c:29ff:fe62:ebb7 -all"
202010._domainkey.absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	TXT	( "v=DKIM1; k=rsa; t=s; p=MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEA1Ci4YQS7JTRfu" "ZzrlGe9O6FRxVrA+5tM/8FOmoksS+OgYRKbYFb9W475MScc2LQBeD2mkSizbQL5Ae7zYPXbJan7h7IR1" "l1b4Xztr7w+9IBCjymAXKbvkKxbA2NLnPyYJELZ/oX+ACmfH4U1fMJspe5kJbEXILZTb+ugmOW6JYSgB" "uTIvYdmoxm5Y70KkXIKnaryotuCrkjsTKwjzQ/SPx3aryXjpmKmvsy2jsnvcKxFqdPkbx3I7xIuEzNlP" "/lQv6cTv/wQq6CtQZhflVSV9YXYaHvP9q1yf9P8rZvgHL78dLb54w3LmkoWeuOXaCNlzhLPtjVSqY+HD" "4aws6x2dQIDAQAB" )
autoconfig.absports.co.uk.	IN	A	62.31.50.140
autodiscover.absports.co.uk.	IN	A	62.31.50.140
autoconfig.absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	A	62.31.50.140
autodiscover.absports.co.uk.disabled.	IN	A	62.31.50.140

2.>
Also in my last 3 attempts while running Post Installation Wizard I always got ClamAV error saying it cannot connect with /var/run/clamav.clamd.ctl and it will not show up in the dashboard so I had no choice but to ignore it and after some time it will automatically starting showing up - not sure how and why.

Also, just so you know at the end of the install wizard, I choose No default virtual server and SSL enabled with Let’sEncrypt. Hope that’s not creating any issue. Right? I used to have Virtualmin’s Letsencrypt SSL but now I use free SSL from Cloudflare. Pls see the screenshot below with my choice/preference:

3.>
Also while configuring the new server, as per Ubuntu suggestion I have assigned 1 GB to /boot portion which is 83% used, but when I look at the old configuration I have given 10 GB to /boot partition and even that was 93% used after a while (almost 12 months), pls see image below for both situations and do let me know your recommendation.

Pls see the Old config below:

Pls see the New config below:

4.>
Also when compared to old vs new setup/configuration, I am missing PHP-FPM 7.2.* Server, PHP-FPM 7.3.* Server, PHP-FPM 8.0.* Server. Any reason why? What impact it can have and how I can enable it on the new system? Pls see the screenshot below:

5.>
And lastly, how can I get rid of DNS registration expiry error. This is a live and customer’s website. Pls see the screenshot below:

Many Thanks,
Ravi

1. For this disabled domain with the DNS error, try re-enabling it and then disabling again. That should fix the issue.

2. Maybe clamAV took a long time to start up? Also, you can skip creation of a default server.

3. 10 GB is fine. You can free up space if needed by deleting old Linux kernels, which is all that go into /boot.

4. Did any of your domains use these PHP versions? If not, there’s no need to worry…

5. Only the root user will see that error, not the domain owners. But also, has that domain actually expired?

Hi @Jamie

Thanks for getting back, please see my update below:

1.>
I had my doubts about the solution offered because there were multiple other disabled domains but they did not throw any error, plus there is a domain that is not disabled and still gave the same error.

Anyways, I gave it a try and it did not work. I enabled all the domains, ran the “Check Configuration” and got exact same error, disabled them again, ran the “Check Configuration” and got exact same error. Pls see below:

Warning!  DNS Registration Warning
Some virtual servers' DNS registrations have expired : delasgiftshop.com

The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled features are available, that the mail server is properly configured, and that quotas are active ..
Your system has 13.63 GiB of memory, which is at or above the Virtualmin recommended minimum of 256 MiB.
Errors were found in your system's BIND configuration : /var/lib/bind/accountswise.esdev.in.hosts:21: ignoring out-of-zone data (autoconfig.accountswis.esdev.in), /var/lib/bind/accountswise.esdev.in.hosts:22: ignoring out-of-zone data (autodiscover.accountswis.esdev.in), /var/lib/bind/esspl.co.uk.hosts:48: SOA record not at top of zone (astro.esspl.co.uk), zone esspl.co.uk/IN: loading from master file /var/lib/bind/esspl.co.uk.hosts failed: not at top of zone, zone esspl.co.uk/IN: not loaded due to errors., _default/esspl.co.uk/IN: not at top of zone, /var/lib/bind/valeriebeautysalon.co.uk.hosts:33: ignoring out-of-zone data (_acme-challenge.valeriebeautysalon.co.uk), /var/lib/bind/valeriebeautysalon.co.uk.hosts:34: ignoring out-of-zone data (_acme-challenge.www.valeriebeautysalon.co.uk)

.. your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin.

3.> So are you suggesting that I should increase the /boot partition from 1 GB to 10 GB?

4.>
I will ensure all domains are on either PHP 7.4.3 or PHP 8.1.2 but what if I want or need to have a website on 7.2 or 7.3 to 8.0? What will I do in that case?

5.>
No, the domain has not expired, it is live and working perfectly fine. I understand only root users can see that, but I still want to fix it and get rid of the error/warning. What can I do?

Many Thanks,
Ravi

Hi @Jamie

Just in case you have not seen this post and it might be helpful. I am not sure what needs to be done so I can not make any changes based on this suggestion. If you can simplify it, I can give it a try.

https://forum.virtualmin.com/t/bind-broken-caused-of-deactivated-server/110778

Many Thanks,
Ravi

When I go to: Server Configuration → DNS Record, I get:

When I go to Server Configuration → DomainKey Options, I get:

Tried doing the same after enabling the domain, still getting exactly same issue/error.

Thx: RT

Hi @Jamie

I just delete absports.co.uk domain and then also deleted the /var/lib/bindabsports.co.uk.host file and then tried running the "Check Configuration”.

And this time I am getting a different error:

Warning!  DNS Registration Warning

Some virtual servers' DNS registrations have expired : delasgiftshop.com
The status of your system is being checked to ensure that all enabled features are available, that the mail server is properly configured, and that quotas are active ..

Errors were found in your system's BIND configuration : zone absports.co.uk/IN: loading from master file /var/lib/bind/absports.co.uk.hosts failed: file not found, zone absports.co.uk/IN: not loaded due to errors., _default/absports.co.uk/IN: file not found, /var/lib/bind/accountswise.esdev.in.hosts:21: ignoring out-of-zone data (autoconfig.accountswis.esdev.in), /var/lib/bind/accountswise.esdev.in.hosts:22: ignoring out-of-zone data (autodiscover.accountswis.esdev.in), /var/lib/bind/esspl.co.uk.hosts:48: SOA record not at top of zone (astro.esspl.co.uk), zone esspl.co.uk/IN: loading from master file /var/lib/bind/esspl.co.uk.hosts failed: not at top of zone, zone esspl.co.uk/IN: not loaded due to errors., _default/esspl.co.uk/IN: not at top of zone

.. your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin.

However, I have now resolved it by deleting the virtual server, deleting the /var/lib/bind/domain.hosts file and then also deleted the entry file in Bind Zone. I have also removed all disabled servers just to be sure.

I also realised that even after deleting astro.esspl.co.uk I was still getting error for esspl.co.uk saying
SOA record not at top of zone (astro.esspl.co.uk) So when I went into /var/lib/bind/esspl.co.uk.hosts there were 4 entries for astro.esspl.co.uk with SOA details. I deleted those lines, saved and ran the “Check Configuration” and errors were gone.

I know this is probably not the best way forward but I think this is at least a clean way to get around the issue at hand. What do you think?

However, while searching for some more details on forum I bumped into this post:

[type or paste code here](https://archive.virtualmin.com/node/52340)

So I checked resolve.conf in new test and prod server running on Ubuntu 20.04, I can see:

nameserver 127.0.0.53
option edns0 trust-ad

However, when I checked the same on old test server which is running on Ubuntu 18.04 I can see:
nameserver 127.0.0.53
option edns0 trust-ad

One of the other server is showing:
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8

One of the old server is showing:
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver local ISP DNS 1
nameserver local ISP DNS 2

Can you please let me know which setting is right and should be implemented in Test & Prod running on Ubuntu 20.04

Many Thanks,
Ravi

Yeah, cleaning up those config files seems like the best option. Unclear how it got into that state though, but it could be a bug in Virtualmin’s backup/restore process.

Regarding resolv.conf, the best setting is :

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8

This will use your local nameserver by default, but fall back to Google DNS if needed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.