Upgrading Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04

I have my Virtualmin setup on a Linode node. Everything works ok, but I would like to eventually upgrade to 18.04. What is the best way to do the upgrade. Is there anything I must be careful with? I read this post here, that said it is possible:

This official update document regarding the update from Ubuntu 12.04 to 14.04 - https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/os/ubuntu-trusty-to-xenial - mentions:

Reset Dependency Flags

These packages are already installed, but the following command will tell apt not include them anytime “apt-get autoremove” is run:

apt-get install bind9 spamassassin spamc procmail libnet-ssleay-perl libpg-perl libdbd-pg-perl libdbd-mysql-perl quota iptables openssl python mailman subversion ruby irb rdoc ri mysql-server mysql-client mysql-common postgresql postgresql-client awstats webalizer dovecot-common dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d proftpd webmin usermin webmin-virtual-server libcrypt-ssleay-perl webmin-virtual-server-theme webmin-virtualmin-awstats webmin-virtualmin-htpasswd clamav-base clamav-daemon clamav clamav-data clamav-freshclam clamav-docs clamav-testfiles libapache2-mod-fcgid scponly apache2 apache2-doc libapache2-svn libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules sasl2-bin procmail-wrapper php-pear php5 php5-cgi webmin-security-updates

Is this step required when upgrading from Ubuntu 16.04 to 18.04 as well? Or should I wait a bit and see when Ubuntu 20.04 is fully stable and supported by Virtualmin?

Thanks for your input. :+1:

I believe there is basic support for Ubuntu 20.04LTS in Joe’s install.sh. You could see if that works out well for you. Honestly, I think migrating to a new server is the way to go. Upgraded systems always seemed messy and unpredictable to me. When running newly built systems you are running configurations in their intended state.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.