Upgrading from GPL to Pro

Hi,

I am considering purchase of one/some licenses for some VPS’s, the goal being to be able to do encrypted backups to remote location (maybe AWS or some FTP/SFTP space) … questions:

• is upgrading just as simple as entering a license or key or whatever or do I have to reinstall ?
  • you confirm that encrypted backups are not available on the GPL version ?
  • is there a way to get a license covering more than one server instead of having to purchase server by server ? number of domains on servers is fluctuating a lot, so I would gladly purchase an unlimited domain license if I could spread it over X servers instead of having to administrate Y licenses for Y servers … even if that means paying an extra for multiple servers (up to 10 servers, up to 20 servers, etc …) :slight_smile:
  • I have a NextCloud virtualHost storing data on a mounted volume (/media/dda1), so this is something that is outside of the VH root folder … would the Virtualmin backup module be able to backup this ?

Thks !
Pierre.

Howdy,

is upgrading just as simple as entering a license or key or whatever or do I have to reinstall ?

No need to reinstall – you can input the license info by going into System Settings -> Upgrade to Pro.

Can you confirm that encrypted backups are not available on the GPL version ?

That is indeed a Pro only feature, there is some information about it here:

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/backup-and-restore#toc-encrypted-backups--BHZ-hgH

is there a way to get a license covering more than one server instead of having to purchase server by server ?

Sorry, licensing for Virtualmin is only per-server.

I have a NextCloud virtualHost storing data on a mounted volume (/media/dda1), so this is something that is outside of the VH root folder ... would the Virtualmin backup module be able to backup this ?

Well, Virtualmin only understands how to backup the home directories of the accounts it creates. If there is a directory outside of that, it wouldn’t be backed up in a normal backup.

There’s a few ways to handle that though.

One, you could use Webmin -> System -> Filesystem Backup to backup that particular directory.

Two, you could mount that directory elsewhere, within a directory that is being backed up. And then if your application is still looking in the old location, you could create a symlink.

Hi
Sorry I didn’t want to be impolite but I just discovered today that I had an answer …

Thanks for these, additionnal questions:

• the Filesystem Backup does not allow for S3, or am I misreading this ?
  • well that directory is outside of the VH for 2 reasons, one is I need more space than the server has so all the NextCloud data is stored on an attached drive (OpenStack) which is mounted outside of the virtualhost for security (to avoid data being in public_html) …

Now I am wondering how I will backup all this … Do you think I could mount that drive inside the VH but outside of public_html ? I really thought that the backup would work because Virtualmin is seeing that external drive (on the dashboard “Local disk space” tells me I have 690gb of available space, the main SSD disk of the server being only 50gb).
Any other idea of a way of backing both the VH and that external drive ?

Thks. Pierre.