Upgrading Debian Linux 9 to 10

I have Virtualmin Pro installed on Debian Linux 9 and would like to upgrade the OS to Debian Linux 10.
Is there something special I have to keep in mind, other than changing the entries in sources.list?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Debian Linux 9
Webmin version: 1.981
Virtualmin version: 6.17 Pro
Related products version: RECOMMENDED

I’m not very familiar with Debian, but I went from Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 with no issues at all.

Before you do it though, make sure you completely backup your Virtualmin. Do the full, complete, everything backup and put it on a backup drive.

That way in a worse case scenario if it all goes wrong you can start over, install the Debian 10, install Virtualmin and then restore that backup.

Be aware that if you installed with version 5.x or earlier version of the installer, you’ll want to switch to using the Virtualmin 6 repos (subdirectory /vm/6).

Simplest way to do that is delete the old repo lines from sources.list and grab the latest install.sh and run it with the -s or --setup flag (this doesn’t do any installation, it just sets up repositories and grabs the signing keys).

1 Like

make full backup beforehand, you would be fine with what Joe suggested and during apt full upgrade procedure you might occasionally have some pop-up in terminal like if you would like to change configuration or keep unchanged etc… oh and make sure you have enough space on your disk specially on /root…and be prepared of course to reboot once you’ve finished.

I went my self from Debian 6 all the way to Debian 10. I will wait for few more months and this time I will do clean install on Debian 11…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.