Upgrade to Pro - Migrate applications?

I’m considering upgrading to the pro version of Virtualmin in order to get the application support.

Is it easy / possible to migrate existing running applications (phpbb, coppermine, mediawiki, etc) to be under the control of virtualmin in order to automate updates of these apps? A lot of these apps were deployed on a cpanel+fantastico server that was migrated over. Amazing job on the migration flow, by the way. It was crazy-easy.

-m<br><br>Post edited by: maxslug, at: 2008/11/07 09:22

You’ll need a second opinion, but afaik the script installer puts a file in /etc/webmin/virtual-server/scriptlog/
the domains are numbered like 1225124778796471.script

inside is something like [code:1]
pass=password
version=5.1.0a
name=sugarcrm
opts_phpver=5
opts_path=/crm
opts_db=mysql_domainname_sugarcrm
opts_dir=/home/domainname/public_html/crm
partial=
desc=Under public_html/crm using mysql database domainname_sugarcrm
url=http://domainname/crm/
user=username
opts_newdb=1
time=1225897787[/code:1]

It seems to me you’ll have to create those files with content and that is gonna be some job…

Thanks Ronald. Looks like it would take some massaging but be possible. Hopefully one of the admins will chime in and see if their is an official migration procedure.

Yeah, unfortunately, there’s no official way to do this (ie, it’s possible it can work, but there’s a fair chance it won’t :slight_smile:

The problem is that it’s impossible to know how the app was setup or installed – and that makes it really hard to be able to just import into Virtualmin.

And even if you manage to import it, it’s possible it would break when you later try to upgrade it. Just make sure you have a good backup laying around :slight_smile:
-Eric

So I guess the only way would bet to install a new instance of the application and then manually import the data into that setup?

Still might be worth it, if I only have to do it once for each application and never have to worry about manually updating them again.

-m

So I guess the only way would bet to install a new instance of the application and then manually import the data into that setup?

Maybe. Hard to say…depends on how similar the original install is to a Virtualmin install. But, it’s probably the safest path.