Upgrade MariaDB 10.3 to 10.4+

Debian 10.
Webmin 1.962
Virtualmin 6.14

I would like to update/grade my MariaDB 10.3 to 10.4 or 10.5 since an appalciation will require in the near future.

All I can find is this topic: *[QUICKFIX]* for MariaDB 10.2 - 10.4.7 !!!
But that is from 2019. Meanhwile support for has been added since virtualmin 6.04 in january 2020.

If I go to the site of MariaDB itselfs it says to uninstall previous before installing a new version.
I also see pages like these How to upgrade for MariaDB 5.5 to 10.1 and then to 10.3 | Vander Host which is CentOS but mentions issues with PostFix

How does that work with current virtualmin? Has webmin/virtualmin evolved over time and is it possible to upgrade a little easier?

Tx,

@pieterG,

This is less of a Virtualmin issue, and more of a Debian one.

Instructions for upgrading MariaDB on Debian 10 can be found at:

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

Thanks Peter,

My question is more if Virtualmin (and anything else) can handle this change and will it pick this up after the upgrade? Since a typical Virtualmin setup may have Postfix and such…

Tx.

@pieterG,

The reason I defer in this case to the distro is that Debian, similar to CentOS by default does NOT support out of the box the latest version of many packages. Which is NOT to say you cannot install the latest, but here’s the reasoning behind the decision.

Both CentOS (up until recently) and Debian focus on “stability” and “security”. To accomplish this goal, supporting the “bleeding” edge is not appropriate since new versions of software that have not yet been fully vetted by the distro could introduce “stability” and/or “security” issues.

That being said, if a newer version of the software DOES include security patches that are also applicable to the supported version of the software, Debian like CentOS (or rather RedHat technically) will use a method called “backporting” which essentially means they’ll take the security fix from the current version and apply it to their supported version of the software.

If you’d like a distro that “out-of-the-box” supports more newer versions of software, while still having a policy focuses on “stability” and “security”, I’d recommend moving up to Ubuntu LTS releases as they tend to include some fresher versions of software during their lifecycle. Backed by Canonical, they’ll also get regular updates to address stability and security issues and each version of software is vetted and adjusted if needed by Canonical before it’s released to their repos.

I hope this helps, and feel free to continue with any further questions and I or others will be happy to do our best to address them.

*** Interesting tidbit, when you install Virtualmin on Ubuntu, it defaults to installing MySQL Server vs MariaDB – though you can always swap out one for the other at any point. ***

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.