Upgrade Debian Jessie to Buster (10)

Operating system: Debian
OS version: Jessie

Hey everybody I have debian jessy, I want to upgrade to latest debian(10). I used sudo apt-get update && time sudo apt-get dist-upgrade , but this didnt work. Is there a safe documentation to do this step by step?

W: Failed to fetch ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/InRelease

W: Failed to fetch http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/debian/dists/virtualmin-jessie/Release No sections in Release file /var/lib/apt/lists/software.virtualmin.com_gpl_debian_dists_virtualmin-jessie_Release

Are some of the fails msgs…

You’re using deprecated repositories.

Current Virtualmin repos are in the vm/6 subdirectory on software.virtualmin.com. You’ll need to update both the virtualmin-universal repo and the virtualmin-jessie repo paths.

Jessie is in Index of /vm/6/gpl/apt/dists/virtualmin-jessie
Universal is in Index of /vm/6/gpl/apt/dists/virtualmin-universal

Hi Joe, thanks for the fast reply. Could you tell me which file do I need to update for repositories? Where is it located? Or is there an Update button on Virtualmin/Webmin GUI? I didnt see that. Also trying to update packages on Virtualmin GUI fails. Assuming I updated repository paths successfully, “sudo apt-get update && time sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” shall I continue to upgrade my dist with following command or is there a recommended/safe way over Virtualmin GUI? Like Upgrade Dist button? Thanks a lot!

From your error message it seems as though you might have Debian 7 repos still enabled.
Confirm which version you are actually using by running:

cat /etc/debian_version

Now, no matter if you are running 7 or 8, you really must upgrade as soon as possible. Debian 8 was EOL last summer meaning that you haven’t had security updates for your server in many many months. Needless to say that’s no good for a public facing server!

Virtualmin will never update your OS, this you need to do yourself by editing your sources.list and running the upgrade procedure. If you Google “upgrade debian 8 to 9” you will find tons of easy guides from well known linux sites.
Mostly Debian upgrades are fairly problem free but in any case make sure your backups are working and prepare yourself (and clients) for some down time while the upgrade is running.
If you’re running 8, you will need to first go to 9, then onward to 10.
If you by any chance are still on 7 you might be in for a nasty surprise as most of the Debian 8 repos will be disabled by now.

I replaced virtualmin links as above , this is what Im getting now:

W: Failed to fetch http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/apt/dists/virtualmin-jessie/dists/virtualmin-jessie/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://software.virtualmin.com/vm/6/gpl/apt/dists/virtualmin-universal/dists/virtualmin-universal/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

That’s obviously the wrong path.

You can just delete the Virtualmin lines, download the install script and run it with the --setup flag. That’ll create the repo config and do nothing else.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.