Update to Rocky 8 or 9?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Centos 7
Webmin version Newest
Virtualmin version Newest
Related packages SUGGESTED

Hi All,

I know there is going to be a lot of personal preference in the answers, but was just wondering about the opinions of the experienced sys admins here.

I’ve got a server, currently still on CentOS 7
This server is running some websites (mostly wordpress) and email.

I’ve been meaning to upgrade this server to Rocky 8 for a while (upgrade as in backup all virtual servers, install new vps, restore the backups)
Would you still go for this, or just upgrade to Rocky 9 now, or in the near future?

Haven’t had a chance to spin up a Rocky 9 test server yet, but doesn’t seem to be a big difference from 8 apart from newer versions of software.

Thanks,
Seb.

I don’t know whether Virtualmin supports Rocky 9 yet, but I’m in the process of upgrading servers to Rocky 8. I have a spare server at the moment, so I can do the installation on an idle server and move the accounts over. That practically eliminates downtime.

Richard

As Richard says, Rocky 8 seems to be pretty solid. I don’t think I’d mess with 9 as it’s so new it still smells of plastic.

I would also consider Debian 11 or Ubuntu 20.04 or 22.04 if I were you. They’re all supported and rock solid.

1 Like

Rocky 9 is not currently supported, but will be soon. Rocky 8 is currently only supported in the beta installer (which will become stable, as soon as new Webmin and virtual-server module packages are released, I’m waiting for the go-ahead from Ilia and Jamie to roll those out).

1 Like

Thanks all, might just go for 8 then. I’ve only been meaning to do this for the last 6 months or so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FWIW, I’ve been running Virtualmin 7 on Rocky 8 in revenue service for sites that I personally own for… I guess about a month or so. Hiccups have been very few, very minor, and (to my knowledge) fixed.

Richard

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.