Update to debian 12 bookworm

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debian 11
Virtualmin version 7.7

Hi,
Is it safe to update to Debian 12 with Virtualmin 7.7 ?

It just came out today? I’d have to think there has been no testing on it by the Webmin/Virtualmin staff as of yet? I don’t even update my home machine until a month goes by to make sure all the kinks are found and worked out? A server? No way I’d migrate this early.

4 Likes

Currently … No … there are 1 or 2 small issues still going on

1 Like

I see 12 mentioned under the Grade A Supported Systems now, all ready to go?
Edit: I see a few things are still in progress: Q/A Debian 12 known issues - #11 by Ilia

Second question, what is the smart thing to do. I can install a Debian 12 image on my server or go through the 11 → 12 update procedure. For example as described here: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/update-upgrade-debian-11-to-debian-12-bookworm/

A fresh install is fast, but I have to reinstall and reconfigure virtualmin again an restore all websites. The update option seems to be not to complicated, but I’m not sure what I could run into and how Virtualmin will behave with all this.

Any advice?

I see Debian 11 security support already end in 10 month from now (jul 2024).

Debian 12 has a few small issues, but I am sure they will be solved in the next period. I would rely on it instead of Debian 11 and avoid an upgrade, even if it worked for me. Because rsyslog remained in place, for several days I did not even notice the problem related to the missing log files.

From my bookmark, there would be the following issues

• some missing logs, including mail.log. they will probably be created from the systemd journal. rsyslog does not need to be installed, but we can use it for while.

• the spamassassin service no longer exists, spamd will be used.

• there are problems with updating the time in Webmin. also if ntpsec package works in Webmin as replacement for ntp which still can be installed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.