Update Failed: Download failed. cURL error 6: Could not resolve host: downloads.wordpress.org

Update Failed: Download failed. cURL error 6: Could not resolve host: downloads.wordpress.org

In relation to the above error on my virtualmin system,

yesterday i changed our office network settings through the ISP to very high security with parental controls activated.

is it possible that the above error is actually caused at our end rather than on the server itself? (wordpress used to download plugins within its own dashboard no problem in the past)

I ask this because of the following in server error logs

[Tue Apr 23 11:44:07.682676 2019] [fcgid:warn] [pid 10692] [client 120.xxx.xxx.xxx:59101] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning: An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the support forums. (WordPress could not establish a secure connection to WordPress.org. Please contact your server administrator.) in /home/mydomain/public_html/wordpress/wp-admin/includes/plugin-install.php on line 180, referer: https://mydomain.com.au/wordpress/wp-admin/network/plugins.php [Tue Apr 23 11:44:44.056736 2019] [fcgid:warn] [pid 4088] [client 120.xxx.xxx.xxx:59139] mod_fcgid: stderr: PHP Warning: An unexpected error occurred. Something may be wrong with WordPress.org or this server’s configuration. If you continue to have problems, please try the support forums. (WordPress could not establish a secure connection to WordPress.org. Please contact your server administrator.) in /home/mydomain/public_html/wordpress/wp-admin/includes/plugin-install.php on line 180, referer: https://mydomain.com.au/wordpress/wp-admin/network/plugins.php [Tue Apr 23 11:48:40.360640 2019] [authz_host:error] [pid 10690] [client 120.xxx.xxx.xxx:59387] AH01753: access check of 'mydomain.com.au' to /wordpress/wp-login.php failed, reason: unable to get the remote host name

I also am no longer able to access any stack exchange websites with a similar error in my web browser.

I am quite sure that if i lower my ISP parental controls/security settings, this error should go away and Wordpress will be able to install/update plugins from my web browser, however, I am wondering if there is another workaround?

My assumption being that i need to add wordpress.org (and stackexchange.com) to the allowed websites list at my ISP?)

Why is it some website SSL certificates seems to produce this error and others do not? It doesnt seem to be related to how big the organisation is either…stack, for example, is huge (and wordpress.org isnt exactly small either)

Also, here is my /etc/hosts file

127.0.0.1 localhost 127.0.1.1 guest.guest guest

The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

127.0.0.1 server1.mydomain.com.au
::1 server1.mydomain.com.au

do i really need to have the 127.0.1.1 guest.guest guest line in it?
in the past my hosts files has always had the server external ip address. This one does not for some reason.