Unable to update php-crypt because of php8.3-mycrypt error

php-mcrypt : Depends: php8.3-mcrypt but it is not installable, unchecked the php-mcrypt, php7.4-mcrypt, php8.1-mcrypt and php8.2-mcrypt and updated all other apps. I still cannot update it. How can I resolve this issue?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Webmin version 2.105

That’s a problem with the repository providing those packages. Not something we control.

You can try doing apt clean which may or may not do something useful.

PHP developers have removed it from the PHP package bundle because of no further development in Mcrypt. Some of the alternatives to Php Mcrypt are Sodium (available as of PHP 7.2.0) and OpenSSL.

1 Like

I didn’t know that. That’ll have far-reaching impact, as a lot of apps use mcrypt. That explains why we’ve seen this come up a few times lately. php - mcrypt is deprecated, what is the alternative? - Stack Overflow

you could do

apt install gcc make autoconf libc-dev pkg-config libmcrypt-dev php-pear php-dev

pecl channel-update pecl.php.net
pecl update-channels

then

pecl install mcrypt

from this point you will need to add the following line to the correct php.ini

extension=mcrypt.so

you will have to look for the correct php.ini file but I would guess it to be /etc/php/version/fpm .

never done this for the reason I have never used mcrypt in my php coding or had a reason to use it through using someone else’s php code, so I would not recommend you do this but instead, reach out to the software developers of the software you are trying to use for advice

1 Like

I think that is the best advice. As always the fault lies with the out-of-date code used in the app.

But good luck with that, PHP is old school but a lot of code was written using it and many of the developers have long gone (moved on). mcrypt was depreciated and removed for good reasons. Why should anyone need to decrypt a password? You have to question why it lasted so long.

thanks for the feedback, unfortunatley

apt clean

did not help

Does this officially work with virtualmin and webmin?

No it does not, if you follow that route you will be on your own

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.