Unable to start Webmin / Webmin vs Virtualmin for web hosting

**Operating system:**w10?
**OS version:**unknown
My developer requested me to ask for assistance here. I run a website, Webmin is my control panel. My developer updated Webmin today (all the new packages). Afterwards he was unable to reach www.mydomain.com/10000 to login in Webmin. It gives error ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. So he asked me to restart the VPS from my host account, which I did. This went well. Attached you see a print screen from my panel. But I am still unable to log in into Webmin. Sorry this is all abakadabra to me, so any response in simple language would be very helpful.

Can you type the following at the command prompt of the screenshot you have posted:

sudo service webmin restart

If you see an error, post the content here and if there is no error displayed, try the webmin URL again in your browser. You might see the Webmin login page.

Thank you calport for your quick response. I have tried your suggestion. Refer to image for outcome. Not sure what to do next.

Glad I was able to respond speedily.

Next, type at the command prompt:
sudo systemctl status webmin.service

And let us know what you see.

1 Like

This is what I see now:

And what does /var/webmin/miniserv.error look like?

1 Like

It looks now like this:

Ok, this should see you through:

1 Like

Thanks so much calport for your help so far. I will pass this onto my developer. Hopefully he understands all that. Thanks again and have a great day ahead.

best regards
adrian

One small point: Ubuntu 16.04 dies in a couple months. You really need to upgrade that.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for letting me know, this is quite important I guess. I will pass this on!

Unfortunately, we have not yet managed to log into webmin. Packages have been updated and webmin stopped responding facing this error “This site can’t be reached” while trying to access using “https://www.mysite.com:10000/”.

At the cli, this should help fix that

sudo service webmin restart

And if not, @tpnsolutions offers a free initial consultation, perhaps you should take him up on it, if you want a pro Webmin expert to install / configure / troubleshoot Webmin / Virtualmin.

I get the feeling that your developer needs an assist.

1 Like

Hi calport, thanks again for your prompt reply! Highly appreciated! Yes I will definitely pass this on to my developer.

We might consider moving to a more straight forward panel like DirectAdmin, as I feel WebMin is not the best fit for newbies like me.

best regards

@Adrian70,

Straight forward panel like DirectAdmin?

While DirectAdmin, Plesk, cPanel and a number of other panels are good at hosting a website, Virtualmin is also very capable of doing these things and can be used FREE of charge until you want value added features.

Even then the Pro version is arguable very competitively priced compared to the other panels. Further, once you become more tech savvy, you’ll start to benefit from many of the advanced features that Webmin has to offer.

Webmin itself is similar to using the Control Panel in Windows, MacOS, or Linux and is pretty powerful.

Virtualmin is technically a “module” which sits on top of Webmin allowing you to execute common Web Hosting tasks in often a “single click” compared to manually executing dozens of tasks manually (which you could technically do in Webmin before Virtualmin was developed).

As @calport has noted I do offer technical assistance related to Virtualmin and if getting to know Virtualmin is your actual issue, I can offer FREE consultation on how to accomplish key tasks through a one-on-one screen sharing session.

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

Your developer installed Webmin. He wanted you to use Webmin to manage a web hosting service, apparently. What your idiot developer should have done is install Virtualmin instead of Webmin and then you would be able to do everything that you need to do to manage a web hosting service in a most straight forward manner.

It was my mistake too, to not have picked up on that incongruency in your first message. I responded by answering your specific questions without first understanding your use case. My bad. I should have asked you what you intend to do with Webmin and when you would have replied that your developer has installed Webmin as a tool for you to host websites, I would have immediately told you that he is making you bark up the wrong tree. It is Virtualmin and not Webmin that your developer should have offered to you.

Well, there is a lesson in this for all of us to learn…

1 Like

Hi calport,

I am surprised by the change of your tone. Even more after the help you have offered me. You assume it was my developer that made me use Webmin, and calling him an idiot. This is not how it is, and also not how I would like to address others.

I will further pick up your advice and contact Peter and reply to his response. Thank you again for your help.

Best regards

Hi Peter, thank you for your response. I highly appreciate your input and outlay of the differences what each has to offer.

Initially, I was not aware Virtualmin sits on top of Webmin. As I am a very simple man, I was looking for a very simple out-of-the box control panel with basic functions. Webmin is obviously much more than that, and it becomes even more challenging for me when on top of it all Virtualmin comes into play.

I mentioned DirectAdmin. After the start-up of my business I found that ie. DirectAdmin

• updates automatically (with Webmin I have it outsourced),
  • automatic renewing SSL certificates functionality is coming soon (I also outsourced this for Webmin)

So now I figured for scooping out a few bucks a month I don’t have to deal with at least the 2 repeating tasks. In the end I might actually save money. Anyway thats all water under the bridge now as we have lift off on Webmin;).

Hi Peter, thank you for your response. I highly appreciate your input and outlay of the differences what each has to offer.

Initially, I was not aware Virtualmin sits on top of Webmin. As I am a very simple man, I was looking for a very simple out-of-the box control panel with basic functions. Webmin is obviously much more than that, and it becomes even more challenging for me when on top of it all Virtualmin comes into play.

I mentioned DirectAdmin for a reason. After the start-up of my business I found that ie. DirectAdmin

updates automatically (with Webmin I have it outsourced),
automatic renewing SSL certificates functionality is coming soon (I also outsourced this for Webmin)
So now I figured for scooping out a few bucks a month I don’t have to deal with at least the 2 repeating tasks. In the end I might actually save money. Anyway thats all water under the bridge now as we have lift off on Webmin;).

I might consider adding VirtualMin, if that is even possible at this stage. Not sure if, for me, it is of any additional value. Maybe for my developer it is.

I first need to find out how to access Webmin again, so my developer can continue to work. Do you offer assistance for solely VirtualMin? Or Webmin too?

Looking forward, thanks and have a great weekend.

best regards
adrian

@Adrian70,

Virtualmin/Webmin updates automatically by way of package management just like core software on your server.

Virtualmin automatically renews certificates issued by Let’s Encrypt.

I offer Linux support in general, which includes support for both Webmin and Virtualmin amongst other topics commonly requiring attention.

*** Some topics and support will cost by the hour, however you’ll know this in advance of receiving such support. ***

Best Regards,
Peter Knowles | TPN Solutions

Hi Peter, thanks for your response! Good to know all this! I am certainly interested. I will drop you a mail at sales at tpnsolutions.com and I suggest we can go from there.

regards
adrian