Unable to access port 10000 in web browser

Okay follow up…

Reinstalled pfsense with a fresh installation of latest version 2.6.0.

Did a port diagnostic for the server and it is successful however when attempting to SSH in or accessing web page it cannot open.

Accessing via web browser

And yes Webmin is active…

Is my system haunted? never had these issues with other installations.

We didn’t make pfsense and I’ve never used it. I don’t know how to guide you.

Webmin is obviously running. Nothing in our installation would block the Webmin port (and in fact, our installer explicitly opens port 10000-10100) in the firewalld firewall that gets created during installation).

I think you’re asking the wrong people for help?

I could be. I will try pfsense forum but I cannot be the only one using Webmin behind a firewall let alone pfsense.

I’m baffled by the notion that Webmin is somehow to blame, if you’ve confirmed that disabling the firewall allows Webmin to work. Obviously Webmin works behind a firewall. It’s a regular old web server.

I never stated that Webmin is to blame. How did you come up with that?

I’m trying to figure out why you keep asking about Webmin, when clearly Webmin is running? Your firewall is apparently preventing access…so what’s Webmin got to do with it?

I’m just wondering, “Now, why am I in it?”

Because I have been unable to access Webmin. It is apparently “running” but there is no proof of that when you cannot access it.

Hard to setup websites when you cannot even get into the web-gui.

This is a discussion forum for Webmin, right?

I also posted on the pfsense forum. Hoping to find a solution that can help others.

Plug your client computer directly into the same switch as the Webmin machine. Test Webmin. Does it work? If so, your problem is the firewall. If it doesn’t work, we can help. But, I think I already saw all of the troubleshooting steps we would tell you to do above (it’s running and it’s listening on the port you expect).

The source of my frustration is that you seem to really want it to be a Webmin problem, when I think we’re all pretty well convinced it is a firewall problem. It’s just not fun to try to solve the wrong problem.

No need to be frustrated. I never stated that Webmin was the problem. And I am surely not wanting it to be a Webmin problem. Not sure how you are seeing that in my initial message or replies.

I have Webmin running fine at my office and NEVER had these issues setting it up. It was actually super easy. But then again I never had pfsense as the router/firewall.

I am just curious if others had issues with having pfsense instead of a standard router.

This is my 6th Webmin installation (1 for me and 5 for clients). This is the first time I had it behind a pfsense, which appears to be the issue. Just trying to see if anyone had the same issue. And if not maybe can help someone else that may get this issue one day.

would a firewall effect a local network? Can you ping the ip.

In the past, when I’ve been able to access with SSH but not through my browser I found that this command did the trick:

iptables --flush

this was with CentOS - I don’t know enough to say if the same applies to Ubuntu.

@mattvanderhoff

Hi, can you just check something within your pfsense, pc and server all connected to pfsense box? I think your issue could be that the server sits on a different subnet then rest of your local machines or its (not likely) fail2ban issue.

in your pfsense check which subnet server sits on, then have look at your local pc, which subnet it is sitting on. You can do this even from terminal on server and your local pc but pfsense have rather nice gui.

Basically if you running pfsence with different subnets you would have to link them properly. Normally on any router setup all devices are on same subnet so devices on LAN can communicate directly meaning you do not need to open any ports or any firewall rules. Most modern routers supports more subnets then one to isolate from each other and pfsense does have this function as well. It all depends on how you set up your pfsense towards your liking initially.

I know for the fact that I was able to set up on pfsense subnet 1 on wifi, subnet 2 on switch port eth 1 and eth2 and subnet 3 on eth 3 and eth4 on the same one physical device. I was not able to access devices connected to eth1 from wifi or from eth4 without a complicated additional setup.

Basically if your server sits on different subnet from your pc from which you are trying to access it via lanIP:10000 you wont be able to. - its just worth checking this out in your pfsense so you can eliminate this error possibility.

He’s already been given the solution. He is yet to even try it.

Pal, you can check your server all you want to and it’s going to tell you nothing because your problem isn’t your server. It’s pfsense because you haven’t configured it properly and continue to completely ignore the fact that it is the problem.

It all ( if pfsense is cause) depends on the config in combination with the switch and yes or no vlan and id’s and settings.

If it is inbound traffic to port, if not inbound then NAT rules for outbound.

But check client server connection first for all things and ports, easy to do pull the pfsense network cable.

Does this pfsense thing not have a traffic log that will tell you if it’s denying this traffic?

yeah sorry did not go via it all as classic issues like firewall or nat did not helped OP already

well that is what my post was all about problem is with pfsense configuration and you are wrong, you can check basic things like network details even from server in this case and compare with output on another pc and also I think you missed in my reply that I said he can actually check this from within pfsense.

@Gomez_Adams his issue is LanIP:10000 access means local network where you do not need even considering NAT unless his switch is managed type, and its not configured at all as it should be.

NAT is for WanIP:10000 = PublicIP:10000 which he is not after. For local access or Lan access you do not need NAT to even touch it, not even on pfsense.

All I was doing is trying to help and since its not firewall and not fail2ban and it is not NAT as you do not use NAT on the local network - it could be subnets be it messed up on pfsense or on switch if the switch is managed and or unless his switch is not configured at all (if its managed type), then NAT solution on switch itself would make sense to check. No one even mentioned it here and this is basic networking.

Anyway as he is connecting everything within his local network from the switch, I strongly suspect its issue with subnets. I bet, when he connects the server and pc directly to pfsense box, his problem will be gone.

Why are you so itchy, what’s wrong man? Next time just flag my post for moderation as spam or something and I will gladly shut up.

Once again you go off on a tangent insulting people. I have not said a word to you for days since you flew off the handle the last time. You have done that nearly every single day for the last two weeks to pretty much everybody on this forum. I don’t know what you’re problem is, but you need to find a cure for it.

And no, he has never, ever checked his pfsense configuration. Or at least if he has, he has never said so and never posted any shots of how it’s configured.

Like Joe stated, he seems adamant that it is a Webmin problem and it isn’t. There is nothing wrong with his server at all, hence my comment that him checking it over and over again isn’t going to help him.

1 Like

If he ever actually looked at the configuration, he could figure that out very quickly. To my knowledge, he never ever has. That’s why I’ve posted the link to the pfsense configuration booklet to check it all out with. It has, to this point, been completely ignored.