Ubuntu OS ans WM/VM

Thank you for all your input.

1 Like

Hey, is there a way to import the SSL Cert created in Terminal into VM?.. I need it to install on Postfix Mail Server, but it’s still showing as self signed in VM. Thanks

You’re showing manually creating a Let’s Encrypt certificate using certbot on the command line…which is not necessary with Virtualmin (and will create config files that will conflict with the Virtualmin configuration if you created the same domain name in Virtualmin). Are you sure you want to do that?

How are you making this so complicated? Let’s Encrypt is a couple of clicks in Virtualmin. Based on previous errors you’ve posted, LE setup in Virtualmin failed because your DNS was wrong. If I’m understanding the timeline, it went something like:

DNS broken, so enabling Let’s Encrypt in Virtualmin failed
Manually trying to issue certs on the command line with certbot (also probably with DNS broken?)
Fixed DNS
Manually issued certs on the command line with certbot (breaking Virtualmin-managed SSL site configuration)

Now you have conflicting configuration files for the SSL sites that will cause breakage in the future.

All you needed to do was get DNS right, before expecting Virtualmin to be able to successfully request Let’s Encrypt certificates.

Now, it’s working, however, trying to install SSL into a domain, VM says too many installed already and it’s only showing the self signed. The only way I was able to get it to install was manually but, it’s not reflecting in VM…

What’s the exact error? This doesn’t make sense.

But, really, I don’t think the exact error even matters. At this point, you can’t manage these SSL sites with Virtualmin, because you’re managing them in certbot.

Then, I guess it’s my computer because VM is not working for me. This is all I keep getting since yesterday, and I just tried again.
`Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator webroot, Installer None
Requesting a certificate for dbase.intrelligent.net
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for dbase.intrelligent.net
Using the webroot path /home/intrelligent/domains/dbase.intrelligent.net/public_html for all unmatched domains.
Waiting for verification…
Challenge failed for domain dbase.intrelligent.net
http-01 challenge for dbase.intrelligent.net
Cleaning up challenges
Some challenges have failed.
IMPORTANT NOTES:

$ host dbase.intrelligent.net
Host dbase.intrelligent.net not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

How do you expect this to work without DNS working?

And that’s the issue…… some show, some don’t…

DNS is not mysterious. Either you have configured records on your DNS servers correctly, or not. In the case of this domain you have not.

|CNAME|www.intrelligent.netCopy|is an alias of

intrelligent.net.Copy|300 Copy|More|
| — | — |
|AAAA|intrelligent.netCopy|directs to

2604:a880:400:d0::1b96:e001Copy|300 Copy|More|
|A|ns4.intrelligent.netCopy|directs to

159.89.51.106Copy|300 Copy|More|
|A|ns3.intrelligent.netCopy|directs to

159.89.51.106Copy|300 Copy|More|
|TXT|intrelligent.netCopy|returns

942946a9046941c4aaa8e3a757fd3d8dCopy|300 Copy|More|
|NS|intrelligent.netCopy|directs to

ns2.digitalocean.com.Copy|1800 Copy|More|

ns3.digitalocean.com.Copy|1800 Copy|More|
|A|intrelligent.netCopy|directs to

159.89.51.106Copy|3600 Copy|More|

ns1.digitalocean.com.Copy|

What’s wrong here?..

Where is the record for dbase.intrelligent.net?

I thought VM was supposed to include automatically, unless I’ve been using an unknown version of VM, I’ve never had these issues with Centos 7. You mean, every time a sub gets created, a record would need to be manually created as well?..

Here’s another issue. I just changed the hostname and using another domain, the new host http://lavision.miami/ shows Index page fine, but it won’t install SSL. The new hostname has SSL installed but, when reaching server with SSL, it redirects you to another server. This has been happening all week. You mean to tell me I’m doing something wrong?>…LOL

Here’s another one… http://testing.lavision.miami/ that doesn’t go anywhere…

Creating home directory ..
.. done
Adding records to DNS zone lavision.miami ..
.. done
Adding to email domains list ..
.. done
Adding default mail aliases ..
.. done
Adding new virtual website ..
.. done
Performing other Apache configuration ..
.. done
Setting up scheduled Webalizer reporting ..
.. done
Setting up log file rotation ..
.. done
Creating MariaDB database dbtest ..
.. done
Setting up spam filtering ..
.. done
Setting up virus filtering ..
.. done
Setting up AWstats reporting ..
.. done
Setting up password protection for AWstats ..
.. done
Saving server details ..
.. done
Re-starting DNS server ..
.. done
Applying web server configuration ..
.. done
Restarting PHP-FPM server ..
.. done
Updating Webmin user ..
.. done
Creating initial website index page ..
.. done
Re-loading Webmin ..
.. done

Here’s the last piece of advice I’m going to give you:

Trash this entire server. Reinstall the MINIMUM install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Server. Install Virtualmin.

Work ONLY in Virtualmin. DO NOT do ANYTHING for your websites in terminal.

What you are doing is using terminal to do things that Virtualmin is supposed to control and you’re screwing everything up.

People have been telling you this for months and you constantly ignore it. Once you install Virtualmin on a MINIMAL install of Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS, you should never have to touch the terminal of Ubuntu again for any website based work. You will do ALL of that in Virtualmin.

Good luck.

Edit to add: I have run Virtualmin on Ubuntu Server for years and have never, ever had to touch the terminal for anything other than rebooting the system.

I’m sorry, these things are all happening on Centos 8… The title is Ubuntu because the issues were there too. Btw, I’ve never had these issues with the VM. The only issues I had with SSL was due to the fact I did not have Certbot installed. Like I’ve been saying C 7 had no issues whatsover, but me locking myself out the other day…

The authoritative DNS servers for the intrelligent.net zone are Digital Ocean DNS servers. Virtualmin has literally no say in your DNS records.

Stop wasting time (yours and mine) fucking around with operating system installations. This is not an OS or Virtualmin problem.

1 Like