Ubuntu LTS 22.04 (MariaDB vs MySQL)

Prefere to stick to Ubuntu LTS 22 now… it’s working so will continue… have another server with Debian9/10 on it with virtualmin that I think I tried Debian11 and Vmin wasn’t available for that back when I installed it. So will upgrade that to Debian11 and use Vmin on that when this is final.

The thing is, that our stack package for Virtualmin 6 has MySQL set as a dependency in virtualmin-lemp-stack. Any time it’s updated it will remove MariaDB and install MySQL completely messing up your databases. On contrary Virtualmin 7 has MariaDB on the stack.

In your specific case this can be prevented by switching to VIrtualmin 7 repos using beta version of install.sh script and running it with --setup switch (to setup repos and exit). Although, the new (beta) install script has a protection against setting up Virtualmin 7 repos on Virtualmin 6 installs. Therefore, before setting up repos with install script as mentioned above you would have to manually unlink /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualmin.list file. When this done, setup repos and then run apt-get upgrade --dry-run and see what package manager would be saying. If it doesn’t say (in your case) that MariaDB would be uninstalled then you’re good go.

Six weeks have passed since I installed 22.04 LTS and realized that provided installer does not support this version. I do not want to hijack this thread, but it was the only one addressing the incompatibility.

I already understood, that making the installer compatible takes a little time.
May I kindly ask again what the current ETA for the support of 22.04 LTS is?

Thank you very much in advance!

Reminds me of a film … LOL :smiley:

1 Like

Are you waiting on an engraved invitation? Virtualmin 7 Installer beta

2 Likes

Engraved invitations are desirable - but for the time being, I will wait for the official release of the installer. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.