Ubuntu 20.04 Clean install - Fail2ban not sending any emails with action_mw or action _mwl

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 20.04
Webmin version 1.991
Virtualmin version 7.0-4
Related packages fail2ban

I have a newly configured Virtualmin host Ubuntu 20.04 all the basics are configured and the first domain deployed.

Working on fail2ban config I cannot get any email notifications even though the correct action_mw or action_mwl are set and the default root@localhost destemail is set with mta = sendmail

What am I missing? Lots of google searching turned up a lot of conflicting information. But no solutions worked. I don;t want to start installing things that may break my virtualmin install which is working fine apart from no fail2ban notifications.

I tested sendmail from the command line using echo “Subject: test” | /sbin/sendmail -v root@localhost

This works fine and I get the email in the root account.

I have other virtualmin installs and this works OOTB on earlier Ubuntu versions.

Any help would be appreciated as I am drawing a blank.

Cheers
Spart

So your using sendmail? Default VM is postfix isn’t it?

Postfix is installed by virtualmin. Sendmail is still installed and works at the command line level as I have tested. As fail2ban is working under the root account with root privileges so should be able to be used as per the default fail2ban behaviour.

By experimentation I have managed to get email output. If I set the destemail to another mail system I have control over with a valid email account. e.g. destemail = validaccount@realmailserverontheinternet and send it from root@FQDN of the virtualmin host even though it is on a private subnet. I get email.

However if I try and get it to send to the root account of the virtualmin host server I get nothing.

This is weird. Does anyone have any explanation as to why this might be happening.

Cheers
Spart

The same command name (sendmail) is used in both Postfix and Sendmail.

Yes, I am aware. How does that help me solve the problem! Do you have any idea why I cannot send mail to the root account of the local server?

Cheers
Spart

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.