Ubuntu 14.04 support

Thank you for your comments!

One of the things we discovered during our testing of this some weeks back is what you noticed. The Virtualmin version there should actually be putting in a “Require all granted”.

That’s odd that it isn’t!

Which Virtualmin version are you using, Pro or GPL? I’ll verify that there isn’t a problem with that particular Virtualmin version, as our testing had showed that it was correctly adding in that line.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I am using the GPL version - 45438 May 15 19:51 install.sh - I’m not sure if there is a clear version number inside it - but I could also send you the install.sh script I am using.

I ran the install.sh with the problems mentioned above.
The install1404 complained about the webmin version.

So I installed the webmin 1684 package, followed by the install1404 on a fairly clean install (only those two attempts earlier) and virtualmin runs fine.

I can access on https port 10000; after finishing the setup wizard virtualmin is complaining that my webalizer config was not found, so
ln -s /etc/webalizer/webalizer.conf /etc/webalizer.conf

fixes the issue. Next one,
The procmail command in the Postfix configuration does not exist.
… your system is not ready for use by Virtualmin.

I haven’t looked it up yet, this is a dev machine and I don’t need mail at all so I’ll try to disable the module.

I took the install.sh from: http://www.webmin.com/vinstall.html

About that procmail issue, run this: sudo apt-get install procmail-wrapper
Its better to have a completely working system :slight_smile:

Ok i tried it again in a VM. There are some small issues i came across. What i did was:

1. Install vanilla 12.04.4 release including updates.

2. Upgrade to 14.04 (do-release-upgrade -d).

3. Running http://download.webmin.com/devel/deb/webmin_1.684_all.deb (didnt work otherwise because i needed atleast 1.684) followed by sudo -f install (to install missing stuff), and installing the 1.684.deb file again.

4. Ran the install.sh from the official location.
    Install now success!

5. Now, i had to add 127.0.0.1 to local DNS and setup static networking (otherwise you cant do the post configuration in virtualmin).

6. Then i created a virtualserver, added SSL certificate, private keys and CA bundle.

7. Uploading stuff through ftp to test out webserver.

8. Turned out i could not browse the website, it said the no permission to access this site error.
    checked log: AH01630: client denied by server configuration:

9. Turned out that directives needed “require all granted” instead of “allow from all”. So change the default server template for apache website.

Thats was my adventure untill now, i havent done any other steps.

Edit
Things you might come across:

• The procmail command /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper in the Postfix configuration does not exist.
    run: sudo apt-get install procmail-wrapper

Howdy,

Thank you all for your input!

To my knowledge, most of the issues brought up above should now be corrected for new installations.

The one outstanding issue is that procmail-wrapper isn’t being installed automatically.

I think I see why, it’s related to a change in how dependencies are handled. It should be as simple as us modifying the install.sh script and adding it in there – I’ll do some additional testing and if that doesn’t cause problems, we’ll go ahead and push out that change as well.

But all the other changes are live in the Virtualmin software repository – feel free to give it a try again and let us know how it goes.

You’ll just need to run “apt-get install procmail-wrapper” from the command line, after running the Virtualmin install.sh script.

-Eric

Okay, the most recent version of the install.sh script will correctly install the procmail-wrapper package, there’s no more need to install that manually.

-Eric

Issue:

When makin a cron and selecting an user it gives an error:

Error - Perl execution failed

Too many arguments for quotemeta at /usr/share/webmin/user_chooser.cgi line 28, near “’”’)"

Also when executing a cron as the user it does not work when the owner is the user.
When the owner is root is does work…

I’ve got the same problem. Can not select user, get an error:

Error - Perl execution failed

Too many arguments for quotemeta at /usr/share/webmin/user_chooser.cgi line 28, near “’”’)"

I edited this file and changed line 28 to:
quotemeta($ul[$i])."";\n";

Now it is working.

(Besides that, good job guys! My favourite CP working on Ubuntu 14.04 now!)

I did a recent install.sh in a fresh 14.04 x32
Created 2 virtual servers and migrated 2 websites
No custom settings or tweaking yet…

I did encounter small issue on dovecot where I cannot login to webmail (roundcube) and from mail client (thunderbird)
I only check the dovecot’s Networking and Protocols… Hit the save button… Then I can login to webmail as well as from mail client…
Don’t know if this is an issue… Just sharing what I encounter.

A question… Should there be further updates on the install.sh , what is the better option?

• uninstall using the install.sh and start the install again
  • perform from a clean 14.04 again

Waiting patiently for the official support on 14.04… So I can move to a new vps :slight_smile:

Hey guys, are you still seeing this cron issue using Webmin 1.690 (which should be in the repo now)?

I was just beginning to do some testing on this issue so that I could get Jamie the info he needs to correct it, but I wasn’t able to reproduce it.

I’m wondering if the new Webmin released that he just pushed out corrected that particular issue.

-Eric

:slight_smile:

I have finished installing on a fresh install of ubuntu 14.04. Everything went fine except I had to change the location of Mcrypt extension from
extension=/mcrypt.so to
extension =/usr/lib/php5/20121212+lfs/mcrypt.so

in mcrypt.ini

Hi, I just did a clean reinstall of VPS and VirtualMin. The Cronjob problem is fixed now!:slight_smile: Thanks!

I also did a fresh install on an Ubuntu 14.04 VPS. Everything went fine although Awstats was missing. Managed to fix it by installing it later with “apt-get install webmin-virtualmin-awstats”. Now I am going to test if sites will work correctly (virtual servers).

Howdy,

Did you by chance download the install.sh just before performing your installation?

In theory, it was updated a few days ago (perhaps a week ago?) to include that particular module, amongst others.

If you’re using a recent copy of the install.sh though, let us know and we can review the installer to determine why that didn’t work for you.

Thanks!

-Eric

Hello,

For some reason, I can’t login to roundcube to access emails. I keep getting this error “Connection to storage server failed.”

Also trying to now access phpmyadmin is giving me “This webpage has a redirect loop”. What do you think is wrong.

Thanks

Howdy,

There’s a few questions I have for you regarding this issue… to keep things simple, could you open a new Forum thread for the issues your seeing? In that new thread, mention that you’re using Ubuntu 14.04, and let us know whether it’s a new install or an upgrade.

Thanks!

-Eric

Hello, my version should be recent (in that time). I always download a fresh install file before installing. Also I do apt-get update/upgrade.

I included a copy of the used install.sh file.

Thanks!

I notice some things like awstats subversion dab etc aren’t installed or listed in the features and plugins area I only see CORE items listed, there listed in the script and for example awstats folder and files are in the /usr/share/awstats folder but there not shown in virtualmin under ubuntu 14.04.

This was done under Ubuntu Server 14.04 on a clean install no optional packages selected running the virtualmin script after a apt-get update and apt-get upgrade.

My other thread im working with Eric on these issues as its related to the script installer which is getting updated and changes.