Two domains same name - different (dot) .net &.info

I was really hoping to be able to migrate one of my domains from my soon-to-be defunct server.

I already have a domain in virtualadmin pro called myserver.net and wanted to migrate myserver.info

First try, it complained about a group having the name "myserver" so I did a work-around and added a new group called my-server and moved the two users on myserver.net to it, then deleted the group myserver - so far so good.

Second try, it said there is already a SERVER named myserver… I’ve looked and looked and can’t seem to find “server names” so I can change the name of myserver.net (that is if it can be done)

I did temporarily rename that domain to my-server.net, didn’t help.

Sorry for the noob question… any suggestions out there?

MTIA, Steve

Hey Steve,

If it looks like a bug, and quacks like a bug…

Virtualmin is supposed to append as much of the name as is necessary to avoid a clash, up to and including the TLD. If it doesn’t do so, it’s a bug, and the best bet for getting it fixed is to file a ticket for it in the bug tracker. After that it will usually be fixed within a couple of days by magical Perl fairies (actually, it’ll be fixed by Jamie, and he isn’t, technically, exactly, a magical Perl fairy…but it will be fixed, and I think we can all agree that, while it would be better if we had fairies to work on the problem, Jamie will do in a pinch).

I thought changing the group name format to FULL DOMAIN NAME will solve that? (sorry I don’t have a working VMpro at the moment to see where exactly is the function)

So when a virtual server is created, e.g. funnybone.com, the server administrator’s username is funnybone.com@funnybone.com and the GROUP created for all users within the domain name is funnybone.com

When another virtual server named funnybone.org is created, the server administrator’s username will be funnybone.org@funnybone.org and the GROUP created will be funnybone.org

Doesn’t that mean that there’ll be no conflict?

Hi AH,

Would that virtualadmin pro did make the group for each domain include the TLD, that would in theory solve the problem, but I say that knowing NOTHING of the amazing amount of code that went into this wonderful product.

A bump in the road for sure, but one I can manage. Joe has been a real trooper in helping me through some of my noob issues. He fixed server problems I had which while related to virtualadmin’s ability to function, were not really “his” problem per say. I’ve got nothing but high marks to give him for his efforts and persistence.

A shameless and uncalled for plug, but I’m just taken aback with the level of attention I’ve gotten, and the stick-to-it-ivness that I have experienced with respect to this product.

atta-boy joe!

Steve

Hi A.H. !

solution noted! Thanks EVER so much for the help! Funny, I read this in the midst of extracting an ftp transfer from the site :o) While it wouldn’t let me “import” the site, it did let me make the site, and sure enough it gave me the group name of digital terrain. As I’m going to sell some space for a little ROI, I better make that change right now JIC.

The more I poke around (even though it has my head swimming as with anything new and complicated) I’m just more and more amazed at how well thought out this control panel is - it even has Squid configuration! Now… if I can only find out what I’m doing wrong there… not important now, don’t really NEED a proxy, but you know how it goes… it’s another new toy.

Thanks again!

Steve

it even has Squid configuration! Now… if I can only find out what I’m doing wrong there… not important now, don’t really NEED a proxy, but you know how it goes… it’s another new toy.

Funny you should mention Squid. The company that Virtualmin sprang from was a web caching proxy appliance and support company, and I was a Squid developer for years. I haven’t looked at Squid in a couple of years (I’ve been full-time on Virtualmin since then), but if you have questions, I’m sure I can help.

The Webmin Squid module is comprehensive and supports all versions up to and including the currently unreleased 3.0 (3.0 was already two years in development when I stopped working on Squid two years ago…crazy long release cycle). When it finally gets released, it’ll probably be worth considering for a new Virtualmin-related product. With ESI (Edge Side Includes) and inline compression, it’ll be a killer frontend for websites that need to scale. Combined with memcached and some other tools, one could build a scalability powerhouse with just about any language (PHP+APC or eaccelerator, Ruby+Mongrel, etc.).

By the way, Steve, can I quote some of your praise? I got warm fuzzies from reading them, and would like to share them with the world (or at least other Virtualmin.com visitors).

I’ve just added a random quotes module to our in-development Virtualmin.com website, and so I’m collecting some of the nice things folks say about us. It’ll include some sweet link action right on our front page (and every other page–if I collect enough quotes to keep it interesting, every page will have one, along with a link to the sayer of the quotes website).

Hi A.H.

Yes, I did that and it did solve that problem. While I was there, I changed how the directory below home is created as well, I didn’t particularly like the admin name as folder name, and changed in the creation of domains to a specific user name because I didn’t care for an email box with domain.name@domain.name.com I fixed that on the same page by changing the “Home subdirectory” from Automatic to “From template (can use $USER and $DOM)” and set as $DOM, all is now well.

Joe…

Feel free to use whatever I say here in any way you want… AFAIK, it’s on your server, it’s your property. Ok… correction… use anything I say, just don’t file a law suit because of it! :o)

Thanks all!

Steve

Hey Steve,

Feel free to use whatever I say here in any way you want… AFAIK, it’s on your server, it’s your property.

Yep, but I’m nicer than that. I like to know that if anyone ever asks you, “Hey, did you know those Virtualmin cretins are using your name and linking to your site, and acting like you actually like and use their software?” The answer will be, “Oh, yeah. I actually do like the software, and told them it was OK to mention that fact on their website.”

But maybe I over-analyze things. :wink:

Thanks!

Steve,

See if this helps to resolve the conflict…

> System Settings] Module Config] Default for new domains] Domain name style in username

Change from â

Hi Steve,

I can confirm that if you had use:

> System Settings] Module Config] Default for new domains] Domain name style in username

Change from â