Triumvirate of new releases: Webmin 1.320, virtual-server 3.33, virtual-server-theme 3.4

Hi all,
<p>
Jamie has unleashed a veritable slew of new packages, with a bundle of neat new features. There’s a lot in this update, so let’s get started with the changelogs:
<p>
Webmin changes since 1.310:
<p>
[list]

[*]Added the PHP Configuration module for managing php.ini.  The module is Virtualmin-aware, allowing domain owners to manage their own private php.ini.
[*]Changed the default theme for new installs to the Blue Framed theme.
[*]Improved handling of large file uploads so that they are no longer read into memory by Webmin webserver. Also added a progress bar window for tracking uploads.
[*]Added checkboxes for deleting multiple objects at once in several modules.
[*]Changed all rows of links (like Select all / Invert selection / Add something) to put | characters between them, to improve readability.
[*]Big improvements in Windows support in various modules and the Webmin core.  (No, this doesn't mean Virtualmin is supported on Windows, but you can run your Virtualmin DNS slaves on Windows if you want.)
[*]Enhanced the System and Server Status module to allow monitoring of all hosts in a Webmin server group.
[*]View the[a href=&quot;http://www.webmin.com/changes-1.320.html&quot;&gt;detailed change log&lt;/a&gt;.

[/list]

Changes in Virtualmin virtual-server since 3.32:
<p>
[list]

[]Updated MediaWiki script installer to 1.9.0, DaDaBiK to 4.1, WordPress to 2.1, bbPress to 0.75, phpMyAdmin to 2.9.2, TWiki to 4.1.0, phpPgAdmin to 4.1, and phpWiki to 1.3.13rc1.[/]

[]Added support for running PHP scripts via FCGId, which combines speed and domain-level user security.[/]

[]Added a new Custom Links global configuration page, for defining extra links that appear on the left menu.[/]

[]Added an option to the Edit Owner Limits page for controlling if a domain owner can login via FTP, SSH or neither. Also added a corresponding option to the mass server change form, and the modify-limits.pl command-line script.[/]

[]After saving a virtual server, a page showing a confirmation message and common links is displayed, rather than the (slow) Edit Virtual Server screen.[/]

[]Hid most options on the virtual server creation form in an expandable sections. This should help reduce confusion for new users about what fields they need to fill in (usually only two or three, even on forms with lots of options).[/]

[]Changed the mail alias creation page to use Javascript to select simple / advanced mode forms.[/]

[]Changed the mail / FTP user page to hide infrequently used options in collapsed sections, and to use Javascript to select simple / advanced mail forwarding modes.[/]

[]Changed all rows of links to put a | between them, increasing readability.[/]

[]Added a help link in the top-left corner on the server creation form.[/]

[]Cleaned up Edit Virtual Server and Virtual Server Details pages to use collapsible sections and more consitent layout.[/]

[]Added a section to the virtual server creation form for selecting an initial style and message for a new website. Also added --style and --content options to create-domain.pl, for the same purpose.[/]

[/list]

Finally, the virtual-server-theme update fixes a couple of bugs, and adds support for the new Custom Links functionality in the new virtual-server module.
<p>
To upgrade on Red Hat based systems:
<p>
yum update webmin wbt-virtual-server-theme wbm-virtual-server
<p>
On SUSE systems:
<p>
yast -i webmin wbt-virtual-server-theme wbm-virtual-server
<p>
On Mandriva systems:
<p>
urpmi.update -a
urpmi webmin wbt-virtual-server-theme wbm-virtual-server
<p>
And on Debian and Ubuntu systems:
<p>
apt-get update
apt-get install webmin wbt-virtual-server-theme webmin-virtual-server
<p>
To upgrade on systems installed using .wbm and .wbt packages, download the module from:
<p>
http://software.virtualmin.com/wbm/virtual-server-3.33.wbm.gz
http://software.virtualmin.com/wbt/virtual-server-theme-3.4.wbt.gz
<p>
Using your serial number as the username and your license key as the password. Then install it using the Webmin Modules module. The new version of Webmin is an official release and can be installed using the Upgrade Webmin module.
<p>
As always, let us know about any bugs you find by filing a bug in the bug tracker.

Hi,

Many nice things in this update!
I have one question though, regarding themes.
Does the Virtualmin Framed Theme support all new things or do I have to use the Blue Framed theme?

In my own opinion I think I take a "step back" when using the Blue Framed theme regarding the design, layout, icons and more.

Regards,
Leif

Themes installation failed on the Ubuntu server.

Hi,

Many nice things in this update!
I have one question though, regarding themes.
Does the Virtualmin Framed Theme support all new things or do I have to use the Blue Framed theme?

In my own opinion I think I take a "step back" when using the Blue Framed theme regarding the design, layout, icons and more.

Regards,
Leif

Hey Leif,

The Virtualmin Framed theme is the only theme we recommend for Virtualmin right now. If you see any issues, let us know. (I’m aware of a couple of quirks in the new “tabbed pages”, and they’ll be fixed in the next update). I don’t recommend the blue theme for Virtualmin use…it is a scaled down version of the Virtualmin Framed Theme intended for Webmin users.

I fail to see where in the changelog:

“Big improvements in Windows support in various modules and the Webmin core. (No, this doesn’t mean Virtualmin is supported on Windows, but you can run your Virtualmin DNS slaves on Windows if you want.)”

Where bind is enabled in the new webmin version for windows XP. So you can’t run your DNS slaves in windows.

I just installed that version here and all I see is apache/mysql/postgresql/ssh under the servers menu.

I fail to see where in the changelog:

“Big improvements in Windows support in various modules and the Webmin core. (No, this doesn’t mean Virtualmin is supported on Windows, but you can run your Virtualmin DNS slaves on Windows if you want.)”

Where bind is enabled in the new webmin version for windows XP. So you can’t run your DNS slaves in windows.

I just installed that version here and all I see is apache/mysql/postgresql/ssh under the servers menu.

Hey Scott,

Oops. I stand corrected. I guess I made an incorrect assumption about which modules work well on Windows, as I don’t actually have a Windows server here to test on (I have a laptop that dual boots, but the Windows partition is too full to install anything else on it…I just use it to test our themes for IE compatibility).

It’s a little surprising though…BIND uses the same configuration file syntax across all operating systems…I suspect making it work would be trivial. I’ll look into it, if folks are actually using Windows for servers out there and would find it useful.