Translation for Virtualmin/Webmin/Usemin

Hi! I wish to help translate virtualmin in to Estonian langugage.

But how to run that… :slight_smile:

http://wbmtranslator.labs.libre-entreprise.org/

I would like to translate Virtualmin into Dutch.

How do I do this the proper way?
Get an instance of Virtualmin running, installing the translator module, and start translating or??

Btw keep up the good work, Virtualmin is a brilliant piece of software :slight_smile:

Regards

Sorry for the slow reply!

Yes, you can install the translator module; just make sure you make a copy regularly, and before any Webmin/Virtualmin updates! An update of Webmin or Virtualmin will overwrite the current language files, which could overwrite your work. So, making a backup regularly and send off your changes to Jamie periodically, so they can be included in the next release.

I recommend you use a UTF-8 character set for your translations these days, as Unicode will be the default going forward (and non-Unicode acts funny in Authentic Theme in some cases). Though, I think Jamie has a tool to auto convert charsets to Unicode when needed.

Is this still a thing?
I see that even with my language enabled, theres still tones of untranslated words.
I am currently installing the requirements and after that I want to start the translations into german.

I see that even with my language enabled, theres still tones of untranslated words.

Okay, everyone - there is a big change coming, language-wise, to Webmin/Usermin and Virtualmin/Cloudmin with the next release.

We are fully switching to UTF-8 now, and I already wrote a small language manager script that did all needed work, by running automated transcodings and performing machine Google Translations for all modules and its parts, like lang/, config.info, module.info, so there will be no more untranslated words.

We already have all strings for all 42 languages present - nothing is missing, with all translations are done as well. All you would need to do is to review .auto files for your language - .auto files contain only machine translations, while previously, human translated strings are only transcoded to UTF-8 and carefully stored.

You are welcome to check Webmin repo and see how it looks, and what machine translations are like.

I am about to go with transcoding/translating Virtualmin/Cloudmin in few days, just the same way.

If you want to see it live, just run Authentic Theme update once from theme configuration page, and it will automatically pull the latest update-from-repo.sh script for Webmin. Afterwards, go to Webmin /usr/{libexec|share}/webmin directory and run ./update-from-repo.sh script to get all latest changes installed, containing all languages transcoded in UTF-8 and all strings translated to your language.

Please evaluate the level of machine translations for your language. If you review strings in .auto file, move them to default language file, and make a PR. There will be significantly less work for you to do, as machine translations are pretty high quality.

After running update-from-repo.sh script you will have a new list of languages and an option to enable/disable machine translations.

Example

What is missing so far, are translations for config.info files, which have very tricky logic to work around. However, after spending more hours with it recently, I’m starting to see of how that could be done as well, so very likely that we will also have config.info files machine translated as well.

Looking forward for your feedback. :wink:

Looks good. I am looking forward to it.
Edit:
I just tested the installation and it tells me its from a dev repo. Is it stable enough to test it?
I dont want to risk any additional work if something might brake.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.