TOTAL NEWBIE installing on ec2-ubuntu

hi all (total newbie here)

i went to install virtualmin on ec2-ubuntu and got some “not supported OS” message.

so, i went into /etc/issue and changed the version reference “11.10” to “10.04.2”, then it seemed to install just fine!

two questions:

1. is/was there a better way to install it, rather than fooling it by changing the version numbers

2. is there any way to install/build it on the amazon-linux ec2-cloud ?

1) is/was there a better way to install it, rather than fooling it by changing the version numbers

Well, my recommendation would be to just use a supported distribution version :slight_smile:

You can see a list of supported distros here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/os-support.html

is there any way to install/build it on the amazon-linux ec2-cloud ?

I don’t believe there’s an existing AMI with Virtualmin for Ubuntu – but if you were to get an Ubuntu 10.04 based AMI, and put Virtualmin on that, that should do the trick for you.

Alternatively, there’s details here on using existing AMI’s that contain Virtualmin with CentOS or Debian here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/aws/virtualmin_gpl_ami

well, i wish i could find a supported version, but on amazon-ec2 you only have so many options. for that matter, when you run on a VPS, the choices are very limited. usually you are lucky to get two to choose from.

ubuntu-10.4 is supported. i figured that anything that runs on 10.4 should run on 11 as well.

Howdy,

Well, there’s a number of VPS providers out there offering supported distros… I don’t have any specific recommendations, but a lot of folks here are using a VPS of some sort.

Ubuntu 10.04 is a common server option, as it’s a LTS (long term support) release.

ubuntu-10.4 is supported. i figured that anything that runs on 10.4 should run on 11 as well.

Unfortunately, if it were that simple, Virtualmin would list those other versions as supported versions :slight_smile:

There’s things about those Ubuntu versions that may not work quite right, and could require some manual tweaking.

That’s not to say it can’t be made to work, but I’d certainly expect to have to put some effort into getting things working after the installation.

It sounds like you were able to perform an installation though – is it working for you? Can you access Virtualmin on port 10000? Can you setup a website, and send/receive email?

-Eric