Top Level Domain as an Alias/Redirect?

Hi,

Sorry, ahead of time im a noob at this.

So, im not sure what exactly alias’s are in the context of domain names but from what i guess thats what i need, i might be wrong.

But basically i have 2 domains registered through my registrar (say godaddy), and lets say the 2 domain names are mainsite.com and alternatename.com.

Basically, i have installed virtualmin on my server, have nameservers setup for mainsite.com and created a virtualmin virtual server (thats what its called) for mainsite.com and its all working fine (website live).

Now i want alternatename.com to be the SAME as mainsite.com. Basically a redirect, or someway to actually link to mainsite.com. Basically, i want say alternatename.com/images/image.jpg to be linking to the SAME (not a copy, but the same) image thats stored under mainsite.com/images/image.jpg. That basically means, i want to be able to browse the entire mainsite.com using the alternatename.com (and still having alternatename.com on my address bar where ever i go within the site).

Im assuming this is what aliasing is? If so, how do i set this up?

Also, please note, i still want the ability to receive emails/email forwarding etc as x@alternatename.com too if at all possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Howdy,

Yup, an alias would do the trick!

All you have to do is go into Create Virtual Server, and choose an Alias server. That will setup your second domain to point to the same website as the first.

-Eric

Hi,
So i select mainsite.com (virtual server), and click Create Virtual Server, then select Alias of mainsite.com, and then fill in the blanks?

I tried that. But now the resulting virtual server dosent have many options. Like mail aliases (forwarding), etc… I guess you cant really have db’s or users under such domain, but how would you go about doing mail forwarding?

Well, the idea is that since they’re aliases – everything you do to the main domain is also done to the alias.

So, most of the options are only going to be available to the primary domain – but options you set in that primary domain are generally also done to the alias. Email addresses you add to the primary are also added to the alias… and so on.

Does that make sense?

-Eric

I see, that makes sense yes.

So that means, if i create a mail alias on the mainsite.com, say decay@mainsite.com and have it redirected to my main email address say decay1234@gmail.com; now after setting up the domain alternatename.com as an alias of mainsite.com, would i get emails coming to decay@alternatename.com redirected to my gmail also without me having to setup anything?

Yup, that’s correct!

Will that do what you’re after?

-Eric

Yup, Thats perfect. thats exactly what i was after.

Thanks so much for your help Eric. Lightning fast and super helpful as usual :slight_smile:

Hmm,

I just discovered the option “Server Configuration” -> “Edit Proxy Website” option.

It basically does what i need as well.

so if i do this for the alternatename.com, and add the proxy address mainsite.com, when you visit alternatename.com, you actually view the page mainsite.com (address bar still says alternatename.com). This is the same for any link within alternatename.com.

So, does this way do exactly what i need too? Without duplicating email forwarding? as in bob@alternatename.com can be redirected differently to bbo@mainsite.com?