Tip for installing multiple scripts

With the new Virtualmin installation I would now like to try installing some scripts.
I would not like to use the default database (the one with the same name as the main virtual server), nor the default user.
Furthermore, I also don’t want to create as many subservers as there are scripts to install.

So, the idea is to create a single “Apps” subserver and under this install the scripts, each with its own folder, but how can I use a different database and username for each script?

Thanks in advance

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Debuin 12
Webmin version 2.111
Virtualmin version 7.10.0 Pro
Related packages Scripts

Why?

Again, why?

If you run multiple scripts / apps on a single virtual server then you are assuming that they all require a version of php which is common to them, which might not be the case. If a few of the scrips require a different version of php, what will you then do? How will you offer two different scripts running on the same virtual server two different versions of php?

Yeah, I know, in Virtualmin there are ways to work around that but why should Virtualmin not be used in a natural manner and instead in the manner which has been described? What advantage do you hope to get by doing all this @DarkCorner?

I use hundreds of subdomains under my white label domain indiax.com and each subdomain is linked to its own virtual server (and not sub server) in Virtualmin. I have enjoyed more advantages than disadvantages by going this.

You should create a virtual server in Virtualmin for every script / app that you host.

I don’t want to use just one default user for security reasons.
Each application should have its own system login and database credentials (regardless of the application login credentials).

I didn’t want to use multiple subservers because this is a test environment and Virtualmin Pro also calculates subservers into the license cost.
However, I agree with your point of view; if the applications require a different php version it becomes very problematic to manage them.

So, ok to use multiple subservers.

How do you have subdomains connected to virtual servers (and not to sub servers)?
What comes to mind is that you create 10 VS for applications, then you create a VS for the working domain and 10 subservers corresponding to 10 subdomains; then you connect them to the 10 VSs.

So, you create 11 VS and 10 SS (and virtualmin calculates 21 of them).

Lol. You are doing exactly that which you say you do not want to do, by using sub servers.

In the interest of security you should create a virtual server in Virtualmin for every script / app that you host.

As I’ve always said, I’m new to Virtualmin.
From what I understand so far, Virtual Servers correspond to domains and sub servers are used for subdomains.
You said:

so I would like to understand how you connected subdomains to virtual servers.

No you can use a sub domain as a top level server vmin->create domain highlight top level domain and just add the sub domain …
Sub servers are all about ownership to simplify db connections, permissions etc as you want the opposite set your sub domains as top level servers

1 Like