There are no DNS zones defined for this name server RHEL 9.2

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version RHEL 9.2
Webmin version webmin-2.105-1

The WEBMIN Graphical interface for managing DNS LINUX stopped showing the zone files list and start showing the following message:
“There are no DNS zones defined for this name server”
So there is no ability to use it in order to manage Zone files changes on the primary RHEL 9.2 DNS bind servers (and also have Master update the secondary as well).
Can you help?

Do the zone files exist ? Create a new domain to test if the zone file is created if it does create a zone file and the dns module reads it, have you disabled dns in your all your domains ?

hi Jimr,

Do the zone files exist ? Yes. all zone files exists on Linux side.

Create a new domain to test if the zone file is created if it does create a zone file and the dns module reads it ?
I’m not sure if its doable in terms it may interfere the working bind.

have you disabled dns in your all your domains ? what do you mean exactly?

Do the zone files exist ? Create a new domain to test if the zone file is created if it does create a zone file and the dns module reads it,
have you disabled dns in your all your domains ?

the Linux Bind is up , running and users using its service with no issues ,
its only about the webmin which just stopped showing the zone list and also no
ability to work on any zone file.
if doing any action on any of the zone files (update zone file for example) in terminal via SSH ,
then there is no issue , it works and also being copied from primary server to secondary server after restarting bind service on primary server.

any idea what is the problem?
what can be suggested solution?

no it will not … you can add any domain … try microsoft.com as we are only talking a local name server for that domain as microsoft.com’s registration name servers will be elsewhere

Does it help if you go to the Dashboard and hit refresh button at the top right of the page? It should clear a lot of different cached data.

be very very careful about ‘hijacking’ a 3rd party name, such as microsoft.com, as once any name is defined locally in your DNS, your system will never try to look it up on the actual internet !!

of course if you do create such a DNS zone for a few minutes as a test, and then delete it, most likely that will not hurt anything :smile:

This is usually because Webmin thinks BIND is in a chroot and it isn’t, or it thinks it isn’t in a chroot, but it is.

So, did you change whether BIND is running in a chroot? Or, did you change Webmin to believe it’s running in a chroot, but isn’t? Regardless, make sure they match.

Hi Joe,
Actually didnt quite understood what you mean, yet didnt change anything related to the BIND running on the RHEL 9.2 server. any idea how can this issue be resolved?

Thanks, Shaul

Hi verne,

I indeed prefer not to use it as it is too much risky and maybe problematic.

if you or any other member can advise how can we fix the issue that I have described:

The WEBMIN Graphical interface for managing DNS LINUX stopped showing the zone files list and start showing the following message:
“There are no DNS zones defined for this name server”
So there is no ability to use it in order to manage Zone files changes on the primary RHEL 9.2 DNS bind servers
(and also have Master update the secondary as well).

this will be great.

Thanks, Shaul

Hi Ilia,

tried it and it didnt help.

Thanks Shaul

This knowledge base article may be useful in helping you figure out whether your BIND is chrooted or not (or may not, I can’t read it as I’m not a RHEL subscriber): How to run BIND in a chroot environment - Red Hat Customer Portal

Webmin configuration needs to match the reality of your system. If your BIND is in a chroot, Webmin needs to know that, and if it isn’t, it needs to know that, too. The zone files will be in different places depending on whether it’s a chroot or not.

HI Joe,

my DNS service is indeed named-chroot so I guess it answers the Q about BIND being in a chroot.
so I can I solve that issue with Webmin needs to know that DNS service is indeed named-chroot ? and actually have it showing the zone file and let us manage it (update,delete) and then restart the service from webmin as well.

Thanks Shaul

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.