The Virtualmin Road Show

Howdy all,

I wanted to give everyone a heads up on what I’ve been working on lately, as it’s kept me from being around the forums and issue tracker as much over the past several weeks. More importantly, I wanted to talk about why I’ve been doing it, and what it means for you.

In December, I bought an RV, where I intend to live, work, and travel for the next year. This week, I handed over the keys to my house to the landlord and pulled out of Mountain View and headed south. I’m parked in Morro Bay tonight, at the lovely Morro Dunes RV Park right on the bay. But, this isn’t about recreation (though I have wanted to travel more over the past few years and plan to do a bit of site-seeing along the way), it’s about talking to our customers, and taking a more directly active role in Open Source conferences, Linux users groups, and the Open Source community.

So, here’s the deal, I’m traveling down the coast of California for the next couple of months. Jamie will be presenting at SCALE (Southern California Linux Expo) in February and I’ll be manning a booth in the Expo Hall (we’ll have Webmin T-shirts and other awesome Virtualmin schwag). After that, I’ll probably be visiting Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Mexico (where we have quite a few customers!), and then Texas, and so on. Swinging back up north in time for OSCON in July. I’ll be in the south while it’s cool, and in the north when it’s warm, and I’ll be visiting most major cities in the US over the next year.

Here’s where you come in:

• I’ll be posting my schedule every couple of weeks, here and in calendar form. I’ve also begun keeping a blog and travel journal at http://nerdnomad.com and twitter at http://twitter.com/nerdnomad

• If you’re a member of a Linux Users Group or other technical users group (programming languages, cloud computing, etc.) and would like me to speak, let me know and get me in touch with the right people to set it up.

• If you take part in any local or regional Open Source or cloud computing or hosting-related conferences, and you’d like me to speak or take part in some way, let me know.

• If you’d like me to stop by your office and work with you on any issues you’ve had with Virtualmin or Cloudmin deployments, or just chat with the head honchos at your business about wider spread deployment of Virtualmin and Cloudmin, let me know.

• If you just want to grab a beer or coffee and chat, let me know. I’ll buy the first round.

• And, most importantly, if you have good, fast, WiFi and plenty of room out in front of your house or office to park my 33’ RV for a couple of days, let me know!

My schedule is currently somewhat in limbo, as I’m awaiting delivery of solar panels, which are expected sometime in the next week, so I can’t stray too far from Palo Alto, but once that’s taken care of, I’m heading down to Santa Barbara before the end of January, Los Angeles and Long Beach in February, and San Diego at the end of February. I’ll probably be spending a few days at several destinations along the way, as well, so the whole southern California region will be well-covered over the next month.

Finally, now that moving is finished, I’m back to work full-time. I’ll only be driving about one day a week, and mostly I’ll be keeping a normal working schedule. So, you’ll see me around the forums and issue tracker again, and you’ll be seeing more development happening on the website.

that sounds like some adventure! :slight_smile:
too bad I live in another continent… :frowning: