The Ondrej repository for PHP released 8.0.0 and I'm having new troubles

main-problem

Virtualmin system does not recognize or permit the use of newer versions of PHP-FPM even after running the Virtualmin -> System Settings -> Re-Check Configuration, but the operating system seems to use them fine.

Operating system: Ubuntu
OS version: 18.04.1
Webmin version: 1.955
Virtualmin version: 6.12
Apache version: 2.4.46
PHP version(s): {5.6.40, 7.0.33, 7.1.33, 7.2.34, 7.3.23, 7.4.11, 8.0.0} are available.

sub-topic

I didn’t notice it was a problem until today when I saw that my Nextcloud virtual server wasn’t running it’s Cron job anymore. It’s been years of uninterrupted service and as of a few days ago when they released the new PHP version that my cron job stopped running.

This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with > PHP 7.4.
You are currently running 8.0.0rc1.

The same cron.php file that is run by the system will run via the URL Webcron execution though https://sd.fqdn.tld/cron.php. This particular server is set to run PHP FPM 7.3.23, so it’s just a mismatch where the main server is using the latest version of PHP, but the virtual server is using the selected version.

It seems that since the cron is being run by the admin user of the virtual server for Nextcloud, it should have noticed that, but maybe it’s a Ubuntu problem since Virtualmin isn’t writing the Cron code.

main-topic

A while ago I was having this type of trouble in Virtualmin by going off the reservation for updates to PHP by including the
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ondrej/php/ubuntu
and
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ondrej/apache2/ubuntu
repositories. The trouble I had for a while was the new versions of PHP (maybe 7.3 at first?) that Nextcloud was requiring for their Passwords Management storage subsystem weren’t being recognized by the Virtualmin system for use by Virtual Servers. e.g. Running the Virtualmin -> System Settings -> Re-Check Configuration thing would never recognize the newer versions that I installed and were definitely running.

I think after some type of Virtualmin upgrade that happened after the 4/22/2020 post in the above-linked Support Issue the other versions of FPM were recognized and available for use. In Webmin -> System -> Bootup and Shutdown the other versions of FPM were running despite the Re-Check Configuration not recognizing them.

Today I see php7.3-fpm php7.3-fpm.service php7.4-fpm php7.4-fpm.service php8.0-fpm php8.0-fpm.service all running now and on restart, but only 7.3 and 7.4 can be used by Virtual Servers, but Re-Check Configuration only say’s The following PHP-FPM versions are available on this system : 7.3.23 (php7.3-fpm) 7.4.11 (php7.4-fpm).

For what it’s worth, it also say’s The following PHP versions are available : 5.6.40 (/usr/bin/php5.6), 7.0.33 (/usr/bin/php7.0), 7.1.33 (/usr/bin/php7.1), 7.2.34 (/usr/bin/php7.2), 7.3.23 (/usr/bin/php-cgi7.3), 7.4.11 (/usr/bin/php-cgi7.4), but I have 8.0 installed also.

It’s because in your Cron job you just using php command, rather than /usr/bin/php7.4 command. Either change that or use update-alternatives to set global default PHP version to something else but PHP 8.0.

1 Like

I didn’t know you could just add the version to the php command. As I always say, I’m just a hack admin.

After running that Virtualmin -> System Settings -> Re-Check Configuration I see:

The following PHP versions are available : 5.6.40 (/usr/bin/php5.6), 
7.0.33 (/usr/bin/php7.0), 7.1.33 (/usr/bin/php7.1), 7.2.34 
(/usr/bin/php7.2), 7.3.23 (/usr/bin/php-cgi7.3), 7.4.11 
(/usr/bin/php-cgi7.4)

The following PHP execution modes are available : cgi fcgid fpm

The following PHP-FPM versions are available on this system : 7.3.23 
(php7.3-fpm) 7.4.11 (php7.4-fpm)

Why doesn’t 8.0 magically appear? Am I doing something wrong, or is Virtualmin protecting me from untested software?

is this 8.0-rc version? If so, that could be the reason.

Yes, the error message threw the -rc version, but because I didn’t mindfully install 8 I didn’t know it happened. It was just a routine package update with the Virtualmin interface. I guess this mystery is solved.

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.