The IP address is already in use error on attempt to create KVM guest

I am getting the following error on attempt to create KVM guest:

Creating clone of KVM system my.host.com named my …
… failed : The IP address aa.aa.aa.aaa is already in use

The problem is that I first used aa.aa.aa.aaa to create another guest system and then changed its IP to another one. So currently previously created with aa.aa.aa.aaa guest system is working with bb.bb.bb.bbb just fine, and I looked everywhere through its Virtualmin to make sure aa.aa.aa.aaa is not kept by any Apache, or Network settings. However it still holds aa.aa.aa.aaa, since pinging it gives:

ping aa.aa.aa.aaa PING aa.aa.aa.aaa (aa.aa.aa.aaa): 56 data bytes 92 bytes from previous.tld (bb.bb.bb.bbb): Time to live exceeded Vr HL TOS Len ID Flg off TTL Pro cks Src Dst 4 5 00 5400 6e76 0 0000 01 01 ae81 10.0.1.6 aa.aa.aa.aaa

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
92 bytes from previous.tld (bb.bb.bb.bbb): Time to live exceeded
Vr HL TOS Len ID Flg off TTL Pro cks Src Dst
4 5 00 5400 ad02 0 0000 01 01 6ff5 10.0.1.6 aa.aa.aa.aaa

How can I make my previous system to release its old IP, so that I could use it to create a new Cloudmin guest system? Thanks!

Howdy,

If you go into Cloudmin -> System Configuration -> Network Interfaces, what is the IP address set to there?

-Eric

Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Cloudmin -> System Configuration -> Network Interfaces shows completely different IP address. I dont’ have problem with my main Cloudmin server address, it is not conflicting with anything. The conflicting IP addresses are different and attributed to KVM guest systems. One of which doesn’t want to release previously used address.

Edit: I pinged the IP again and it is now free. So everything is all right, please ignore my question. I guess I just needed some time to pass after I had changed IP addresses in guest system.

Thanks!

Sorry, I meant to say that the KVM guest that previously had that IP address – you’d first want to select it from the dropdown list, and then go into System Configuration -> Network Interfaces once that KVM guest is selected.

If Cloudmin thinks that guest is still using that IP, it would prevent a new guest from using it. But you can change the guest’s IP address from that screen there.

-Eric